Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
colbijay
    Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:59 pm

I am having a argument with my supervisor at the plant where I work. I have tig welded some 304 stainless hinges to some panels that are 304 using 308 tig rod and then mig welded the hinges to some frame work made of 304. I used 308 wire in the mig with tri mix gas welded great but left a brown dust or whatever you want to call it on the weld my supervisor wanted me to clean it and I told him I was going to wire brush it with a stainless brush he said if I did that it would rust I told him he was nuts everything is stainless who is right and what is a good way to clean it? thanks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi,

I pretty sure it wont rust if you use a stainless brush. As long as it is not contaminated. We used to do alot of Mig welds on stainless, mainly 309 but we only ever power wire brushed them. And thet turned out alright.

You can get Passivation Gel that you put on, let sit and then wash off. I have seen it used on stick welds and a few mig but the SS brush should be ok. But remember, use a brush that is only for SS other wise you will lose your bet.
If you have some of the gel, do one each way and see which one comes up better. If you use the gel, be careful because some are fairly harsh acid.

Good Luck
Mick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi

Just another quick point, this may be the decider. If the part you are making can't have any wire brush marks, ie: polished or finished stainless, the acid is the way to go.

Mick