Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Just looking at Miller Welders online and I see they've got an 800A Dynasty welder. WOW! You could hold an Arc length of 2 inches with that baby! :lol:

I've never even seen consumables for something like that. I mean, filler rod would have to be a hunk of 1/2" rebar or something. Do you just tie an entire 5# tube of filler rods together and soak em all up together?

They're right-proud of em too! $17K+ for a full setup.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Feeding that rebar into the weld lagoon is gonna get old fast! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I almost bought one on Ebay a couple months ago. Not joking. Still in the shipping crate for I think $8,000 or so.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

BugHunter wrote:Just looking at Miller Welders online and I see they've got an 800A Dynasty welder. WOW! You could hold an Arc length of 2 inches with that baby! :lol:

I've never even seen consumables for something like that. I mean, filler rod would have to be a hunk of 1/2" rebar or something. Do you just tie an entire 5# tube of filler rods together and soak em all up together?

They're right-proud of em too! $17K+ for a full setup.
I dunno about 2", but I'm sure it's quite a bit. Heck even 350A on my Invertig is a heap of current. About a week away from having 3-Φ and getting all 400A out of it.

For tungsten, all you need is a ¼" tungsten for DCEN. For unbalanced AC, you might need a 5/16" tungsten.
BugHunter

Spartan wrote:I almost bought one on Ebay a couple months ago. Not joking. Still in the shipping crate for I think $8,000 or so.
That would have been a stellar deal. I probably would have jumped on that.
Oscar wrote:I dunno about 2", but I'm sure it's quite a bit. Heck even 350A on my Invertig is a heap of current. About a week away from having 3-Φ and getting all 400A out of it.

For tungsten, all you need is a ¼" tungsten for DCEN. For unbalanced AC, you might need a 5/16" tungsten.
I've got three phase at work I just don't have 480-volt. I have a new-to-me grinder that I still have not hooked up because I have to put Transformers on to bring it up from 240.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about your machine when you can crank it all the way up.

I don't shop at a lot of places that sell that sort of thing but I've never even seen supplies like that on cyberweld. Maybe they have tungsten that big but I've never seen it.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

At those amperage’s your using 1/4 , 3/8 or 1/2” filler.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:At those amperage’s your using 1/4 , 3/8 or 1/2” filler.
Thanks for the reply. Made me realize I need to get in gear and finish my RPC setup! I just have make sure I dont have cold inside corner welds or cj737 will give me the 3rd degree burn!!!! :lol:
BugHunter

Where do you buy it?

After seeing this thread again, I see at the time i didn't have my grinder wired up yet. I now have 480 3 phase at work, at least at 30A. The boost transformer for that was just north of $1700 plus another $1400 of support accessories and labor. With any luck that's the last of the 480v toys for me.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

With standard practices you don’t need that much amperage any more, except extreme cases.
https://www.weldingoutfitter.com/produc ... 0lb-eo-can
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

The K-Tig process uses a1000amp power source. Typically runs 750-800amps max. Full penetration weld on 1" gapless unbevelled joint. No worries.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
BugHunter

I'll have to try to track down some videos of that.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Oscar wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Made me realize I need to get in gear and finish my RPC setup! I just have make sure I dont have cold inside corner welds or cj737 will give me the 3rd degree burn!!!! :lol:
Perhaps the lack of 3ph is your issue- your machine simply can’t put out enough amperage to weld 1/4” tubing? I never realized that was a requirement after all these years...

Yup, there it is. Interesting. Very interesting.

I haven't used 1/4" wall tubing in a good while. Not sure what you are referencing. Or what this new-found agenda of yours is aimed towards.....you can just spill it if you want, no need to hide behind passive-agrressive commentary like others who dont like me or my machine arsenal.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

You sure do seem to take a lot of flak, Oscar, and I’ve never been sure why. You certainly do contribute a great deal to this forum. To your great credit, you do always seem to respond to it in a professional manner, and that is quite admirable.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

He's a Texan you know
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Spartan wrote:You sure do seem to take a lot of flak, Oscar, and I’ve never been sure why. You certainly do contribute a great deal to this forum. To your great credit, you do always seem to respond to it in a professional manner, and that is quite admirable.
+1 to this!
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225

I try to keep a up-beat attitude I don't need to be stressing about anything other than my work/career. Once I leave my office, it's all fun and games and cooking! I'm serious business when it comes to getting my professional work done, but it ends there. Beyond that, pfft I got it good over here. Except for the 100°F+ heat which is never fun, my life is pretty freakin awesome to me. Ain't no hating or condescending/derogatory comments gonna get me down, nor any silly conspiracy theories either. :lol: Bring it on! Ain't nothing gonna change over here, that's for sure! Just a lil ol' Texas boy having fun! :D
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Oscar wrote:I try to keep a up-beat attitude I don't need to be stressing about anything other than my work/career. Once I leave my office, it's all fun and games and cooking! I'm serious business when it comes to getting my professional work done, but it ends there. Beyond that, pfft I got it good over here. Except for the 100°F+ heat which is never fun, my life is pretty freakin awesome to me. Ain't no hating or condescending/derogatory comments gonna get me down, nor any silly conspiracy theories either. :lol: Bring it on! Ain't nothing gonna change over here, that's for sure! Just a lil ol' Texas boy having fun! :D

+1 & 2 Oscar ;) I enjoy your contributions, too old to be Jealous of your arsenal. :D
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Oscar wrote:like others who dont like me or my machine arsenal.
I've got almost as many welders and I'm just a hack! :D
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT

G-ManBart wrote:
I've got almost as many welders and I'm just a hack! :D
I've only got 1 welder, hope I'm at least good enough to be a good hack! :lol:
Richard
Website
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

This just in.......

HTP has issued a safety recall for all models of their welders due to a serious shock hazard. All HTP owners are advised to turn off their welders till a fix is found. The company estimates at least 90 days to find a solution, and start shipping out kits to fix the problem.

Now that would ruin Oscar's day. :lol:

Hey Oscar, breathe man, take slow deep breaths. It's ok, it was just a joke.
He's not breathing......
Somebody call 911, I think Oscar's having a heart attack!
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!

VA-Sawyer wrote:This just in.......

HTP has issued a safety recall for all models of their welders due to a serious shock hazard. All HTP owners are advised to turn off their welders till a fix is found. The company estimates at least 90 days to find a solution, and start shipping out kits to fix the problem.

Now that would ruin Oscar's day. :lol:

Hey Oscar, breathe man, take slow deep breaths. It's ok, it was just a joke.
He's not breathing......
Somebody call 911, I think Oscar's having a heart attack!

VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Oscar, I thought you might enjoy that.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!