Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MeatHead
    Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:34 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of Jody's work and the community here. Learning how to make a consistent "stack of dimes" bead on 2mm thick intercooler piping has been challenging. Here is my best so far:

Machine: PowerTig 225LX
Amperage: 90 amps with pedal (no pulse, ~ 1'o'clock frequency, ~ 37% Balance)
Torch: air cooled hand-held with switch, control in 4T position
Gas: 100% pure argon
cup: everlast #7 cup
Flow: 7L / min
Tungsten: 3/32 2% lanthanated (sharpened to point)
Filler Rod: 3/32 4043
PreFlow: ~1-2s
PostFlow: ~8 seconds
Pulse: Off

Are there any tips or tricks you experienced tig welders can recommend to help me achieve a more consistent stack of dimes look (on pipe) like below? Also, since I have to weld on an aluminum 2.5 inch (diameter) elbow to my turbo like the picture, what settings do you guys recommend?:

Davidep82
    Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:07 pm

I would try reducing the balance to about 15%, increasing the frequency to about 2 o'clock, and dropping the amperage to about 75. Move at a fairly quick rate. Try to stay close to your work, less than 4mm (1/8"). If the puddle start getting to wide, stop and let it cool - blow air throughout the inside. Or better, if you can, get a heat sink on the inside of the weld. Hope that gives you some things to try that help. I am basing my suggestions from my use on a 250ex.
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

something else that helps with this is only move a few 'dimes' then stop and let it cool. that way you can weld good and hot and move at a good clip, but not get out of position and overheat the work. also, as Jody is fond of reminding us, doing a dry run of your weld helps a BUNCH in getting your positioning down, particularly on pipe.
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

How did you clean it? I always having problem cleaning cast alum, specially on repair work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65