Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Trackmaster welder
    Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Oh yeah also meant to mention that it may help to go to manual balance and dial it to as much electrode negative you can get away with. A fillet weld by nature can be difficult to get consistant penetration, and more EN will help, as well as focusing the arc ..... less jumping from the vertical face to the horizontal and a tighter narrower heat affected zone which is always preferable

To go from Liters to CFM use about 50% ..... ie 7-8 lpm, to get about 15-17 cfm, and visa versa. Close enough for most anything. Also can't remember if your using one, but a gas lens produces superior shielding and allows greater tungsten stick out, which can help with fillet welds. I like to use nearly vertical torch on aluminum ( no tilt ) but can make for some serious head tilting, unless you use a bit more stick out.
highdezman
    Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am

wow great stuff there thank you so much that was exactly what i was looking for and i will fire the machine up this week and give it another try and post some pics, Ive been doing ok for the most part and have actually made some money on a few small aluminum jobs :) Thansk again, Brian
Tim
  • Tim
    Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:03 pm

You probably heard that relating to gas welding. Tank size makes a difference with acetylene. A small tanks cannot maintain the higher flow rate of a larger tank.
Gary
  • Gary
    Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:24 pm

On a weld like that what I usually do is put a small tack weld about 3/4" from the ends to hold into place , I know that is common knowledge but I do the first tack on the far end then do the tack on the end that I will be starting then after that tack just go right to welding , that way the heat is there in the metal (almost but up anyway) then you can get a clean start without blowing out the end of the metal. That has helped me. Also on .250 aluminum get real used to feeding quite a bit of filler rod at a time so you can get the weld puddle up to the .250 edge or bead height that is needed for the proper penetration and strength..
Hope that helps but practice is the main key and also get the heat up to start you puddle fast then back down fast to stop the edge from blowing off.
Gaary
Everlast 250EX Tig
Everlast torch cooler
Everlast 50P Plasma Cutter
Home Built 2 x 4 CNC Router table
Shoptask Bridgemill with CNC added
Central Tools 7" Bandsaw
highdezman
    Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am

thanks so much you guys are awsome, this is such a cool place to acuire knowlege :)