Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Drjohn
    Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:13 am

I recently purchased a Miller Synccrowave 200 an am trying to learn how to Tig weld. I"ve been welding for 30 years (self taught stick& Mig),needed a new challenge! Anyway, I am trying to corner weld some .030 stainless an am having Hell!! Seems like everythingI do,, I can't get a puddle started and I burn it up. Have adjusted Amps from 12-30 with no change, using 1/16" ceriated tungsten with a very sharp point, tried pulse and no pulse, welding with a copper backup angle iron, should not need filler but have tried it to. Don't really have a good handle on balance settings which might be part of the problem,. May be going to slow ,but can't get started. Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Am frustrated, Thanks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

The only real help I think I can give you is to forget about the thin stuff for a start. Start with a few bits of 3mm (.125") or thicker and go from there. This will enable you to get a feel for the weld pool and speed... etc etc. Once you get your eye in, you can go back to the thinner material. Very thin stuff is really hard to work with, cause it burns away so fast.

Good Luck
Mick
vinnie
    Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Get bask to basics.

Grab a piece of 1/8" mild steel no mill scale run a puddle with no filler get the feel.
Do same on .060" mild steel to get some results as to where you are with tig.Then do a corner joint on .060" steel.Then move to stainless.Shouldn't require filler rod with tight fit up.FILLER ROD .035" 308L Would be a good start.
Stainless as you know requires less heat sounds like too much heat and hanging around for too long.

Pictures would help.

V
Drjohn
    Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:13 am

Vinnie- Thanks for the tips, you were absolutely right-using too much heat and hanging around to long. Will back off and practice on some thicker steel till I know what the hell I'm doing. Always in a hurry and want run before I can walk , Maybe Tig welding will help me cultivate some patience, DrJohn