Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
drummerdimitri
    Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:57 am

I'm starting a Light industrial metal fabrication shop and looking to purchase a TIG welder.

Will eventually be buying a MIG machine as well but would like to learn TIG first as it is more difficult and versatile.

After lots of reading and asking around, I've narrowed my list down to two machines.

As a beginner, the Kemppi seems to be the better option in the short term as the user interface makes it very easy to get the welding parameters set automatically depending on what type of metal you are welding, the thickness, type of weld etc. but the Fronius is a more sophisticated machine and looks to be of slightly better build quality with more arc settings and features and seems to be the better long term option as I would be able to use more of it's potential as my skill grows.

Will be buying either option with the water cooling unit and since they are about the same price, which one would be more suitable for me?

Will be working with steel, stainless steel, iron, copper, brass, aluminium, maybe even some titanium in case that makes the decision to go with either option simpler.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Welcome.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I've used a Fronius briefly and found it to be a top shelf machine. I have no usage with a Kemmpi. Both look to be comparable in features overall, possibly the Fronius has some more "advanced" features. I doubt you could ever utilize the full extent of either machine.

My strongest recommendation would be to decide if either has better Warranty service local to you in the event you have issues. That can make ownership pleasant or unpleasant despite the functioning of the machine.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

drummerdimitri wrote:I'm starting a Light industrial metal fabrication shop and looking to purchase a TIG welder.

Will eventually be buying a MIG machine as well but would like to learn TIG first as it is more difficult and versatile.

Will be working with steel, stainless steel, iron, copper, brass, aluminium, maybe even some titanium in case that makes the decision to go with either option simpler.
i think there is a few things here.
first off a top of the line machine with the corresponding price tag is not needed for a business just starting out. there is simply better areas to spend the money.

the other is that your learning to tig, which is not great for a business that requires tig. most people have many years of welding experience before starting a business.

i highly recommend listening to some of the welding tips and tricks podcasts as they go over these topics quite a bit. a lot of interviews of guys who have started up their own fab shops.
tweak it until it breaks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Fronius is the best you can buy. But you need to make sure that you can take advantage of the all the benefits attached to that quality. If you are just starting out, you can get great deals on second hand equipment and make sure use your money in the best possible place, like maybe sheet metal equipment. Lots of welders can weld sheet metal but cheap ass folders will make life difficult.
drummerdimitri

tweake wrote:
drummerdimitri wrote:I'm starting a Light industrial metal fabrication shop and looking to purchase a TIG welder.

first off a top of the line machine with the corresponding price tag is not needed for a business just starting out. there is simply better areas to spend the money.

the other is that your learning to tig, which is not great for a business that requires tig. most people have many years of welding experience before starting a business.

i highly recommend listening to some of the welding tips and tricks podcasts as they go over these topics quite a bit. a lot of interviews of guys who have started up their own fab shops.
I agree with what you said, however I need to stress a few points:

I will not be launching my business before taking courses and becoming a certified welder.

Also, I understand a top end machine is not needed however since I will be the sole operator of the machines, I'd like them to be the best because for one, I believe in the buy once cry once philosophy and also because I'm the kind of guy that has to have the best otherwise I will always feel buyer's remorse that's just the way I am...

I've already invested in quality tools and equipment with more to come with time and experience.
Last edited by drummerdimitri on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drummerdimitri

weldin mike 27 wrote:Fronius is the best you can buy. But you need to make sure that you can take advantage of the all the benefits attached to that quality. If you are just starting out, you can get great deals on second hand equipment and make sure use your money in the best possible place, like maybe sheet metal equipment. Lots of welders can weld sheet metal but cheap ass folders will make life difficult.
Fronius it is then!

I know for a fact that I will only be using a fraction of the welder's capability at first but I'd like it to be able to cope with my ever growing skills as time advances hence the decision to buy either or.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Even in the US. We recognize Fronius has a solid reputation.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

drummerdimitri wrote:
tweake wrote:

I agree with what you said, however I need to stress a few points:

I will not be launching my business before taking courses and becoming a certified welder.

Also, I understand a top end machine is not needed however since I will be the sole operator of the machines, I'd like them to be the best because for one, I believe in the buy once cry once philosophy and also because I'm the kind of guy that has to have the best otherwise I will always feel buyer's remorse that's just the way I am...

I've already invested in quality tools and equipment with more to come with time and experience.
8-)
sounds like your in a position very few get to have.

fronius is my pick. kempi are meant to be solid but the odd horror story here with kempi products not working as advertised and them ignoring the customer. which is an absolute failure for a high end brand.
tweak it until it breaks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Very good then. All the best with your new venture.
drummerdimitri

8-)
sounds like your in a position very few get to have.

fronius is my pick. kempi are meant to be solid but the odd horror story here with kempi products not working as advertised and them ignoring the customer. which is an absolute failure for a high end brand.[/quote]

Absolutely!

I'm lucky to have supportive parents who are willing to invest time and money in me because they see potential.

Already placed an order for the Fronius machine :D
drummerdimitri

weldin mike 27 wrote:Very good then. All the best with your new venture.
Thanks for the kind words :)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

drummerdimitri wrote:8-)
I'm lucky to have supportive parents who are willing to invest time and money in me because they see potential.
Please advise your parents I am still up for adoption. Advantages of adopting me:
- Already house broken, so dirty nappies
- Can cook, clean and take out the waste bin without nagging
- Can drive myself to work daily, have own vehicle
- Can immediately begin earning money welding and fabricating
- Same age as they are (perhaps older?) so I get all their "jokes"
- Have machine, will travel

Photos and references available upon request :D
drummerdimitri

cj737 wrote:
drummerdimitri wrote:8-)
Please advise your parents I am still up for adoption. Advantages of adopting me:
- Already house broken, so dirty nappies
- Can cook, clean and take out the waste bin without nagging
- Can drive myself to work daily, have own vehicle
- Can immediately begin earning money welding and fabricating
- Same age as they are (perhaps older?) so I get all their "jokes"
- Have machine, will travel

Photos and references available upon request :D
I was adopted too! So you have good chances of getting adopted as well :lol: