Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Good info Steve!
Thanks, I'm learning quite a bit here! Is this type pof inspection covered under Level I Inspection? I think I'd like to take that training through our Canadian Welding Bureau (similar to AWS) soon.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
red racer
    Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Also depends on how the dye was applied.If the dye was applied real heavy,maybe it was too much left on the test area. If you follow the inst. on the can . wait for the red dye to soak into all voids,usually 10 to 20 min., then I take a clean rag & spray with brake cleaner & wipe the red dye off,till only the imbeded dye remains. Wipe it down again with a clean dry rag.Let that dry by air,not compressed air. That can spread the red dye too much. Then spray on the developer[white] And wait for the developer to dry.When I see large dark areas like I'm seeing in the photo ,maybe too much red was left on. A little red dye goes a long way. Some times I use a que-tip to apply the red dye. Hope this helps R/R :mrgreen: