Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
croshaul
    Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

I need to do some welding where I can't use my foot pedal unless I can lay on it. What do you do in this situation? I could do it with the old scratch start. Can I put the HTP 221 in a scratch start mode?
Thatkid2diesel
    Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:38 am

You can get a momentary switch or hand control for your 221. See links below.

https://usaweld.com/collections/remote- ... ig-welders

https://usaweld.com/collections/remote- ... nd_control

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Last edited by Thatkid2diesel on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

croshaul wrote:I need to do some welding where I can't use my foot pedal unless I can lay on it. What do you do in this situation? I could do it with the old scratch start. Can I put the HTP 221 in a scratch start mode?
Yep, just take high-freq off, and use lift-arc or flick the filler rod to the tungsten if you have good coordination. Or order a TIG Button from Dave@tigcontrol.com and don't skip a beat.
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

TIG Button, best investment I’ve made since I got my welder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

We pretty much only use tig torch switchs here in Australia. I'm sure people use foot pedals but not too common
manac
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:43 am

Just setup a tig button.
Still getting used to it, only issue is there is no feedback for where you are in the amp range.
With a pedal you know if your at 1/4 or 3/4 of the pedal position.
croshaul

Thanks guys. I think I bought the wrong hand control. I bought the hand control, bottom link, unit that Thatkid2diesel gave a link to. I think I have about ten minutes into that unit. It sits in the bottom of my tool box. If the button control is simply a start switch, I think I could work with it. I take it that amps will be controlled at the machine and not in the switch. Basically a glorified scratch start?

Oscar, do I have to unplug the pedal?
dgapilot

TIG button is a pressure sensitive amperage control. Very light touch, so it doesn’t fatigue your hand.

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
Thatkid2diesel

croshaul wrote:Thanks guys. I think I bought the wrong hand control. I bought the hand control, bottom link, unit that Thatkid2diesel gave a link to. I think I have about ten minutes into that unit. It sits in the bottom of my tool box. If the button control is simply a start switch, I think I could work with it. I take it that amps will be controlled at the machine and not in the switch. Basically a glorified scratch start?

Oscar, do I have to unplug the pedal?
You would unplug the foot pedal and plug the button or momentary into the machine same place the foot pedal plugs in. If you got the tig button that Oscar referenced, you would set your maximum amperage and control the amperage with a harder or softer press of the button. If you get a momentary switch like the one I linked to, you set your amperage and when you hit the switch it gives you full amperage to whatever you set it to and hit the switch again cuts it off.

Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:We pretty much only use tig torch switchs here in Australia. I'm sure people use foot pedals but not too common
Mick, are they the pressure sensitive type that control amperage or just on/off?
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

croshaul wrote:Thanks guys. I think I bought the wrong hand control. I bought the hand control, bottom link, unit that Thatkid2diesel gave a link to. I think I have about ten minutes into that unit. It sits in the bottom of my tool box. If the button control is simply a start switch, I think I could work with it. I take it that amps will be controlled at the machine and not in the switch. Basically a glorified scratch start?
You can also set your machine up with a sloped up amperage and then a downslope. Set your momentary to 4T to take advantage of these features.
Thatkid2diesel

cj737 wrote:
You can also set your machine up with a sloped up amperage and then a downslope. Set your momentary to 4T to take advantage of these features.
Good point cj737.

Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
croshaul

A Tig Button is headed my way!

Dave, the ones I use are an on off, and you alter your starting current, up slope and downslope on the machine.
Thatkid2diesel

croshaul wrote:A Tig Button is headed my way!
Good deal. It should serve you well. People love the tig button!

Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

and I"ll tell ya what ... that tig button is amazing. the durn button has no movement and still controlls amperage from zero to the desired max setting.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

cj737 wrote:
Not only that, with a momentary on/off switch the HTP can use the TIG-Reset feature. It is a variant of 4T, with the difference that you can cut the amperage to a user-defined % of the peak, using the button itself, and then return to the original peak amperage if you want. IOW, you can manually pulse between two amperages, as defined by you, as often as you want, using only the button.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Dave, the ones I use are an on off, and you alter your starting current, up slope and downslope on the machine.
Thanks Mick, I have one of those that I’m going to try. I’m building a garden trellis that won’t fit on my table so I’ll be crawling around on the floor :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225

Good luck with it. Pro tip (from jody) if you set your downslope very long, you can hit the button when things get hot, it'll be like backing off the pedal. When it cools down, get back on the button and keep going.
dgapilot

Tig Button is an amperage control device, just like the pedal. It is non an on off switch. No need to set up and down slope(that defeats the purpose of having control of the amperage with the Tig Button.

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

dgapilot wrote:Tig Button is an amperage control device, just like the pedal. It is non an on off switch. No need to set up and down slope(that defeats the purpose of having control of the amperage with the Tig Button.

The comments re: slope are for simple momentary or Lift Arc setups. ;)
croshaul

My Tig button arrived yesterday. Thank you Dave
croshaul

Well, I've had a chance to use my new Tig Buttom. I'm really liking it. No real issues, my kit didn't come with the button clip but I can easily live without it. My biggest problem is trying to find my peddle when I'm ready to light up. ;)
dgapilot

The thing that was hard for me with the TIG button is how sensitive it is. Lighting up before I was really ready. I’m getting used to it now. I don’t even think I want to go back to the pedal now.

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene

These are the torches we have at work. It's an inbuilt button. A tiny click click switch. You click it once to upslope and hold it down to run the set downslope time.
Attachments
ktt627072004_0.png
ktt627072004_0.png (149 KiB) Viewed 3408 times