Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
highdezman
    Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am

I saw a pic of a 7018 rod in a tig torch and was wondering if this is a very acceptable way to stick weld and would there be any harm in doing this?
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I have done that one time before, just to show some of my students in my welding class. They thought it couldn't be done. It works just fine, but I don't believe its very common on job sites. Not saying some people don't stick weld with a tig torch, I just haven't seen anyone else do it.
highdezman

Thanks for the response i think ill give it a try some time
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

I'm curious, I have two chinese made(harbor freight and everlast) and they both came with a separate cable stick wand. Why would you waste the time changing TIG collets or waste the gas?
Charlie
brian

Charlie, He was just wandering if it could be done and if anyone did that. If you were stick welding with a tig rig, you would turn the bottle off. And its called an electrode holder.
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

Brian,
Thanks for that. I actually know what it's called...just at my age, my memory kinda gets flaky.
Charlie
brian

Charlie, Don't think I meant any disrespect by that. Its just hard to show sarcasm in words. I figured you knew what a stinger was. Brian

sticking with a tig torch is not something you would want to do routinely but here is an example of how it could come in handy...
lets say you are on a job site welding 2 inch stainless pipe and you need to weld a small piece of angle iron for a temporary support and you are up on a scaffold... you have a couple of 3/32 7018 rods in your tool bag but no stinger.

you can climb down , walk back to the gang box and get a stinger, or just chuck up a rod and make the 2 inch temporary weld in about 2 minutes.

if you are in business for yourself, its a no brainer.

jody
highdezman

Great, that like a great tip for in a pinch :) thanks
mister bobo
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Call it Collick welding (collet with a stick-lol)...charge more $$..just a thought. I know I think about pricing up the stig (stick welding using another rod for MORE filler) welding when I didn't pay attention and have to repair the hole I blow out. It comes back to marketing!
may the wind behind you not be of your own-
mister bobo