Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I got told that if you burn bread absolutely charcoal black in a toaster, it makes an effective filter to remove the undrinkable stuff from the methylated spirits. Leaving only the ethanol. Allowing you to get off your chops for cheap.
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:I got told that if you burn bread absolutely charcoal black in a toaster, it makes an effective filter to remove the undrinkable stuff from the methylated spirits. Leaving only the ethanol. Allowing you to get off your chops for cheap.
I'm no chemist but I suppose bread burned black might make a sort of carbon filter or something. I'm not sure that I would want to test that theory though!

Seems to me that if the goal is just to get drunk, there are less risky ways to do that for equally cheap money.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

That's basically what is happening.

Apparently it happens in remote communities where there is no booze available (dry area) and by people who have nothing left except to drink.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Fully carbonised bread (aka. 'carbon foam') basically works like an activated charcoal filter and binds several chemical contaminants as they pass. Same as with respirator masks that have a layer of activated charcoal in them for this same purpose. The regular filtration membranes take out particles, the carbon binds gasses that can be harmful.

BTW.. A fully carbonised piece of bread works great too as a heat/flame shield if you need it in a pinch somewhere. It's brittle so needs a little care, but you can point a flame at it and it will take ages for the back to get hot. The 'fluffier' the original bread the better as the air pockets help the insulation.

Bye, Arno.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

I used both alcohol and acetone based on what is closest to me unless removing oil or grease, in those cases I go for the acetone.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!