Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm

I’ve been trying to get away from using acetone for cleaning my material. I’ve heard of people using 70% alcohol, but I recently scored a 5 gallon jug of 90% from work. Are there any issues with cleaning with this?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

That’s what I use 90% of the time. Unless I need extra clean.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

I always use 90% IPA, unless it's a critical weld or the oil/grease is heavy, even then I start with the IPA to get most of the contaminate off, and finish with acetone.
Richard
Website
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Just remember... 90% isopropyl alcohol is flammable.

Ken
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

taylorkh wrote:Just remember... 90% isopropyl alcohol is flammable.

Ken
Highly...
    Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm

Right on!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Isn't acetone flammable as well?
BugHunter

weldin mike 27 wrote:Isn't acetone flammable as well?
Yes it is. But I'd say alcohol is more likely to make people careless because the 70% stuff we normally use, isn't flammable.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

70% stuff we normally use, isn't flammable.
I would beg to differ.I used 70% Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) as fuel in my spud gun all the time. It burns quite well.
Multimatic 255
BugHunter

Louie1961 wrote:
70% stuff we normally use, isn't flammable.
I would beg to differ.I used 70% Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) as fuel in my spud gun all the time. It burns quite well.
Hmmm...

Not doubting you here, I know hairspray Works real well in a spud gun. I don't know how 70% would have worked. Maybe the vapors, after it sits for a while are more flammable.

I just took a lid off a gatorade bottle and put some 70% in it. Put it on the sidewalk and hit it with a propane torch. Until I put the torch flame right in it, it did not light. Once lit, it was a very slow, very weak flame. It never melted the lid. The lid was probably 7/16 of an inch tall, 3/8 deep, and the flames barely rose above it.

I've used a fire extinguisher to put out 90% in the past so I can say there is a very big difference between the two. I have some 91 upstairs but I didn't bother lighting that up.

I poured some 70% on the sidewalk which is of course cold outside. I had to keep the torch aimed at it for several seconds to get it to light. I'm wondering if it wasn't too cold to evaporate enough alcohol so it could light. Maybe the torch warmed up the concrete and then it would burn. It did burn for a little while and was a pretty cool experiment all things considered.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I use 90% IPA quite often for metal prep. I also always keep a bottle on hand of 90% IPA mixed 50/50 with acetone as a cleaner that is sort of "best of both worlds" and not too harsh especially if working near any plastics. That 50/50 mix is also an excellent flux remover for soldering.

I use 70% IPA for the initial cleaning of parts that are particularly dirty. The higher water content is ideal for that since it dissolves dirt and helps to wash it away.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Whats the advantage of the 90% over acetone?

I dont do much tig, so i don't use a lot of either

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

JayWal wrote:Whats the advantage of the 90% over acetone?

I dont do much tig, so i don't use a lot of either

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
For me, 90% IPA is just cheaper, more readily available, and is less caustic (better for your skin, won't melt some plastics, latex gloves, etc.). However, I do also use straight acetone quite a bit.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Would Denatured Alcohol work as well?
I don't know what is used as the "denaturing" additive to make the alcohol non-potable, but would think that any 90%+ alcohol should work as a passable cleaner.

Around my area, getting any high proof alcohol has become difficult with the virus going around and people buying up any/everything for cleaning purposes.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Whats the advantage of the 90% over acetone?
In 1981, when I took Organic Chemistry in college, we used acetone to clean our glassware before and after experiments. Back then they used to make us use it under a fume hood, and we were told that breathing it would give you liver damage. I don't think that is true, but I suspect it is that sort of thinking that will have some people interested in using isopropyl alcohol over acetone.
Multimatic 255

hey_allen wrote:Would Denatured Alcohol work as well?
Yes, maybe not for code work but it does the trick.
Richard
Website
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

The nice thing about isopropyl is while not as aggressive as acetone, it doesn't evaporate away nearly as fast, but still dries fast enough it doesn't become an inconvenience. I doubt I'm the only one to have SOAKED a paper towel in acetone only for it to start drying before I was done cleaning, or even started.

sbaker56 wrote:The nice thing about isopropyl is while not as aggressive as acetone, it doesn't evaporate away nearly as fast, but still dries fast enough it doesn't become an inconvenience. I doubt I'm the only one to have SOAKED a paper towel in acetone only for it to start drying before I was done cleaning, or even started.
I have chemical resistant gloves for using acetone, although they are a bit cumbersome, I use the IPA probably 80% or more of the time, most of the parts I weld are machined stainless, so nothing too dirty
Richard
Website
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I've also heard that acetone is quite nasty. I believe that people think that if something evaporates, that it's somehow safe.

Side note, in Australia, we call denatured alcohol, methylated spirits.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Quick note....tonight went to walmart...denatured alcohol is $.60 more per quart than acetone.

BillE.Dee wrote:Quick note....tonight went to walmart...denatured alcohol is $.60 more per quart than acetone.
So what's the take away, buy IPA? ;)
Richard
Website
BugHunter

LtBadd wrote:
BillE.Dee wrote:Quick note....tonight went to walmart...denatured alcohol is $.60 more per quart than acetone.
So what's the take away, buy IPA? ;)
Yep. I'm drinking one right now.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

dunno Richard,,,didn't get into the area with ipa to compare the price of that against the others. the queen said, LET'S GO!
I "try" to not get into the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I do it too often.

buggy, IF I didn't live 2 hours out, I'd be over to help.
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

I don't know what is used as the "denaturing" additive to make the alcohol non-potable, but would think that any 90%+ alcohol should work as a passable cleaner.

Around my area, getting any high proof alcohol has become difficult with the virus going around and people buying up any/everything for cleaning purposes.
I believe that the denaturing agent is typically methanol, hence the name "methylated spirits" used in some places as noted in an earlier reply.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

clavius wrote:

I believe that the denaturing agent is typically methanol, hence the name "methylated spirits" used in some places as noted in an earlier reply.
yes, tho there was a move here years ago to leave the methanol out to stop people getting poisoned by it ie from drinking it.

however afaik ethanol is a poorer cleaner than ipa or acetone.
tweak it until it breaks