Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
daniel_coursen
    Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:30 am

I’m running a Lincoln Ranger 250 with the chopper set up. The machine had a touch start tig setting and I want to get a torch set up off that machine. Any recommendations for the simplest most practical set up there ? The machine has a plug for remote as well just unsure of the best set up without buying the high frequency box for it.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

The simplest setup is just a torch and cable, clip your stick stinger on the cable end and scratch start.

That's what I do on my miller bobcat 225nt. It doesn't have tig setting.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

daniel_coursen wrote:I’m running a Lincoln Ranger 250 with the chopper set up. The machine had a touch start tig setting and I want to get a torch set up off that machine. Any recommendations for the simplest most practical set up there ? The machine has a plug for remote as well just unsure of the best set up without buying the high frequency box for it.
I am a little embarrassed to ask but can someone explain what the chopper does?
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Granddaddy wrote: I am a little embarrassed to ask but can someone explain what the chopper does?
I'm no authority on the subject, so here's Lincoln's explanation (page 4):

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/ ... /nx130.pdf
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Granddaddy wrote: I am a little embarrassed to ask but can someone explain what the chopper does?

looks like a really crude method of control.
tweak it until it breaks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Arc pig is an inline high frequency generator for adaptation of existing welders. https://www.arcpig.com/howitworks.html
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:

Thanks Dave, I am admittedly tech illiterate and that makes me skittish of add on's like that but I can understand the attraction because the best running stick welder that I have in the shop is a little el'cheapo inverter machine that I bought for my grandson's and son in law. it runs up to 165 dc amps and has hot start and arc force for about 112 bucks on sale at amazon. I don't know how long it will last but it rums really good off 110 or 220 and runs on a generator as well as it does on line voltage.
I considered the arc pig as a way to get out of buying another machine but ended up buying the sw 200 back when you could still get one for around 1100 bucks, I figured the arc pig was a gamble as to weather or not I would be happy with and it was convinced by the forum reviews to go ahead and dive in to the deep end.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!