Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

I see in some of Jody's and a few others videos occasionally they use what looks like a 3/4" copper rod, bent at a 90 degree angle they sometimes set right on their work piece. Is this the make a better ground than just laying the parts on the table? To help hold small parts from moving around?

And what's on the "back" end? I thought I saw a 1 1/2" ?? bar stock wrapped with braided copper wire? Should there be a lug to clamp the ground to? Worth making one?

Thanks in advance.
old_smokey
    Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Pretty sure what you’re describing is a copper “third hand”, which functions simply as a hold-down device. Being copper you don’t have to worry about it getting welded to the work piece. Ground comes via the table usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Yes, they are often referred to as "third hands" and help to hold parts down, give the parts better contact for a ground with the table, and also to provide another ground path. You certainly could put a ground lug on them, but there is really no need, IMO. The table usually provides an adequate path. I make mine out of mild steel or SS. Copper/brass/bronze are great and do a better job of both sinking heat and conducting electricity, but I just don't see the need for the added expense.

It's called a "third hand", used for holding small parts in place while tacking or welding. The weight on the back provides a gravity assist

I see Sparten posted while I was composing this, oh well... :roll:
Richard
Website
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

third hands are very much needed.
not only handy to hold stuff but electrical path is extremely helpful.
eg sometimes i have to use a vice to hold things and when you weld it tends to arc between the table and vice. a third hand provides a better current path and stops the arcing.

make them out of what ever you have. i welded a bit of silicone bronze on the contact areas.
tweak it until it breaks
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Lowe's has number 4 bare copper for under a dollar fifty a lineal foot. I used that with a piece of inch and a half diameter steel as a body for weight and I was good to go. The copper is flexible and obviously a good conductor.
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Reckon I'll be searching the shop and making one. :D