Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Can ER70s steel filler and 4043 - 5356 aluminum filler be stored in the same tube? I currently only have a small amount of each so are multiple tubes necessary? Or are bad things gonna happen due to dis similar metals hanging around with each other?

Thanks
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

A TIG welder's reputation and status within the welding community is directly proportional to the number of filler rod tubes that they display for other TIG welders to look upon. It's how we impress each other and establish dominance.

Academics display their multitude of degrees. Master chefs hang their high-end pans and cutlery in their kitchens for all to see. A hunter will hang upon their walls guns and shoulder mounts. A star athlete has medals, ribbons and trophies festooning their homes.

And us TIG welders...we have our tubes.

It's your call.
robtg
    Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Spartan wrote:A TIG welder's reputation and status within the welding community is directly proportional to the number of filler rod tubes that they display for other TIG welders to look upon. It's how we impress each other and establish dominance.

Academics display their multitude of degrees. Master chefs hang their high-end pans and cutlery in their kitchens for all to see. A hunter will hang upon their walls guns and shoulder mounts. A star athlete has medals, ribbons and trophies festooning their homes.

And us TIG welders...we have our tubes.

It's your call.

Now I have to go out in the shop and count my tubes. :)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

eelman308 wrote:Can ER70s steel filler and 4043 - 5356 aluminum filler be stored in the same tube? I currently only have a small amount of each so are multiple tubes necessary? Or are bad things gonna happen due to dis similar metals hanging around with each other?

Thanks
i will say no.
i know fab shops jump up and down if their aluminium is even transported with steel. stainless guys are even worse. stainless gets trucked separately.
its simply due to contamination from one product to the other.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

eelman308 wrote:Can ER70s steel filler and 4043 - 5356 aluminum filler be stored in the same tube? I currently only have a small amount of each so are multiple tubes necessary? Or are bad things gonna happen due to dis similar metals hanging around with each other?

Thanks
The sun will still rise if you store them together. It is not recommended to mix steel/ally in the same storage tube, but if you're just a hobbyist, the Metalurgy Police won't be stopping in to write you up. But it is worth the small investment to grab some extra tubes.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I would at least try to keep them separated with craft paper.
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

They came in a plastic bag so for now I'll throw 'em all in the same tube in those bags and put additional tubes on the wish list.

Thanks guys!
Gligor
    Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 pm

Don't put them together, they hate each other and they'll start a fight. You'll find your rods broken into pieces :lol: .
Jokes aside, it's not recommended, but it's not end of the world. Use some material dedicated scotch brite, wipe them down with acetone using clean paper towel before welding, and you're good to go (unless you are working on some structural critical applications).
I know I'm going to be disrespected by many people because of what I just said. By that rationale, you shouldn't rest your aluminum/stainless rods on the welding table.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Spartan wrote:A TIG welder's reputation and status within the welding community is directly proportional to the number of filler rod tubes that they display for other TIG welders to look upon. It's how we impress each other and establish dominance.

Where do I stand??

8-) :lol:
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I'm not sure you've got any floor space TO stand. :lol:

:lol:

Oscar wrote:

Where do I stand??

If you have to ask... :lol:
Richard
Website

Been meaning to make something to hold all of that, but it's another project to put on the back-burner due to lack of free-time. Oh well, that is the trade-off I have to accept.
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Oscar wrote:

Where do I stand??

Well, your profile picture sort of says it all.