Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Andre
    Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm building a rolling ball sculpture using 1/8" thick stainless steel rods,
I'm looking into purchasing the Tig Thermal Arc 95s, I like the size and affordability of it.
My concern is will it work fine on that specific thickness (1/8").
This is all new to me...if someone has a similar welder or experience in this that could
Give me there opinion or advise would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Andre
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I don't own one, but that is one nice little machine! It should be more than enough for what you want to do with it.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
Andre

Thank you for the reply,
I search a little deeper and found out that the rule is 0.001" per 1 amp, not sure sure if this is correct or not but if it is, technically it's not enough.
95amps x .001" is less than an 1/8". I'm just doing small spots where the 1/8"ss wires intersect I'm hopping it should be fine.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

That rule is a very rough guide. 1/8 in rod will not need many amps to weld. Not the 125 that the rule suggests. (It applies more to plate and pipe where the heat is being drawn away by the rest of the material. ) Thin rods have nowhere for the heat to go and heat up VERY quickly. Being stainless it will require less heat compared to mild steel. Try starting out low, 15 amps and go up from there and see what happens.

Mick
Andre

That's great to know and thank you all for the input.
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Like Mick stated, that rule is a rough guide only. There are many cases where a 1/8" electrode is run at 90 amps or so.
My understanding of your question was regarding the welding of very light SS rods together. This amperage should be way more than enough. I would think you would only want maybe a 3/32" tungsten, and then like he suggested, start low and work your way up until you get the result you are looking for.

Let us know how you make out!
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
red racer
    Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:12 pm

You might try even a smaller tungsten like 1/16" &15 to 20 amps.You didn't say if you were using a foot peddal control ? Some times on very light material I use a heat sink,like A piece of copper 1/4" flat stock, It will soak up some of the heat & give support to the material your'e welding...R/R :mrgreen:
Andre

I haven't purchased the Thermal Arc 95s yet.
But now after everyones comments it seems like it will do the job.
I dont think this unit has a pedal, is this something that will make things easier?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi,

I think you should be right with out a footpedal. Small tack welds -on-off- are not to hard to do with just the lift arc torch. However it does take a little practice to start and break the arc cleanly.

Mick