Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Prakashsuri1991
    Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:53 am

Hi all! I came across these videos in youtube a couple of days ago...what welding do you think is used in this process? I guess it to be TIG welding for both of them... In the first video he is tack welding and in the second weld there is orbital TIG welding process of the underframe pin of a locomotive.am i right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrfaffRoc5w&t=292s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WokCyQAsh-E
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

They are both MIG, not TIG
Prakashsuri1991

How are you so sure they are mig welding? They could be flux core as well...any ideas
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

The first is clearly a spool gun, so mig weld it is.

The second has no slag developing right behind the weld. Mig weld.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Prakashsuri1991

I am able to see some slag here...maybe they have grinded the weld after that...what do u say. Also in the private jet aluminum welding why is he just tack welding rather than seam welding it together
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-02-06-03-46-34-33.jpg
Screenshot_2021-02-06-03-46-34-33.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Prakashsuri1991 wrote:I am able to see some slag here...maybe they have grinded the weld after that...what do u say. Also in the private jet aluminum welding why is he just tack welding rather than seam welding it together
Sorry buddy that is not slag you are seeing. You are seeing something, but it is not slag. It is MIG welding with shielding gas. :)

The first video he is tacking because that is a common technique before a large assembly is actually welded up together. Tacking introduces physical constraints on the parts so they don't shift around as much with the heat from the added welds.

So why so interested in quizzing us?
William Payne
    Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:15 am

No TIG was seen in either of those videos. The first example is a spool gun wire feed. The second is automated wire feed. Both Mig/Mag based processes. No TIG involved.
Miller Syncrowave 350LX
Esab Power Compact 205
BOC 185DC Tig
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

First one is a push pull Mig setup. Common in factories where there running long leads, like 25ft or more between the gun and feed box. Still Mig. Second is definitely a Mig robot set.
I have more questions than answers

Josh