Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
EisenStrauss
    Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:58 pm

I'm a HVAC technician of 14 years and have taken an interest in stainless tig welding. Looking to broaden my skills and expand my learning. My goal is to weld adapters to stainless heat exchangers, join stainless tubing and maybe some light fabrication at some point.

I've been watching countless hours of Youtube content, Welding Tips & Tricks, Weld.com, The Fabricator Series, HagoJibi etc..
Tons of information there, almost overwhelming at this point. Are there any textbooks that you guys recommend? What is a good starting point. I am a visual learner and enjoy the theory and science. I have been brazing and silver soldering for years and understand purging, heat transfer etc.. but this is a different gig altogether.

I have a Fronius Transtig170, Optrel hemlet and a few different rods to work with (ER308L, ER316L, ER70S-2).

From what I understand, a gas lens and larger cup are optimal for stainless for the best shielding, but not necessary? I haven't bought anything for accessories at this point, I want to learn the basics first. I have no foot pedal, just the handle controls.

Appreciate the input, I'm having fun already.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

You need seat time. Practice. Build muscle memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzIF0H02fBw
Multimatic 255
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

This is a good handbook ; https://www.amazon.com/Gas-Tungsten-Arc ... 1566372062

Excellent in-depth information on techniques, settings, materials and consumables and it will speed up your learning curve.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

‘Metals and how to weld them’ is a good book covering a lot of info in various materials. Nothing beets hands on experience though.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

What Louie said. Before you start adding filler material, just run the torch along the base material so you can get a feel for the operation.
Just like in the video, use steel as it is more forgiving to errors and there will be errors during the learning process ... and every day is a learning process.
Get yourself comfortable. You have to walk before you can run. Practice, practice, practice. Clean, clean, clean material.
Have fun with it.
gramps.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Welcome to the TIG welding addiction!
When we teach classes we always have students start out doing dry runs. No filler to worry about at first. This lets you focus on identifying the puddle, which is perhaps the most import part of welding. Once you can hold a consistent puddle in a straight line then begin to add filler and move up from there. Remember, you are using the torch to melt the base metal, and that molten puddle melts the filler.

Best of luck!
-Jonathan