Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Ty1on
    Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:57 am

Hello All,

Looking for some advice. We have a new Miller Dynasty 210 at work. I have been "given" the task of setting up/maintaining/controlling the use of it, since I know the most about TIG. Our business is powdered metal forgings and, by nature, it is a rather dirty plant (graphite dust, metal dust, grease & oil, etc.) I warned management that this welder would be trashed in no time if we just set it out in the maintenance area without any restraints on it use. They agreed and stated that it should be kept locked up, signed out for use, training for people who need to use it, etc. (none of this has happened yet). Historically, any piece of equipment that has come into the maintenance dept. gets trashed in no time at all. Its a real problem here - nobody wants to take care of things, people, who have no business using a piece of equipment, try to use without training/guidance, etc. Naturally, everybody wants to "play" with the new TIG welder. I refuse to let it be a free for all for anyone who wants to play around with it. If something needs to be TIG welded (which there is not a whole lot of need for) they come and get me to do it. The last thing I need is to have to fix it, etc. when I need to use it.

The big question: Anybody else have a similar situation with a welder or piece of equipment and how do you control the use of it?

Very typical scenario: Do you know how to TIG? "Well...yeah...its been awhile". Or "yeah I know how, you just do this and that and its pretty easy".

That's my dilemma. Looking for advice on how to handle the situation. Sorry for such a long read! :D

Thanks, Ty
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Lockout end on The power cable could work. Like the type they use for machinery lockouts during repair.

Or since it may tricky for you to lockup the whole welder you could lockup the torch and ground cables to render it useless.

That's what I can think of to do simply.

I have the same issues to a lesser degree in our shop. People constantly grab my grinders with abrasive setup for alum and go clean god knows what with it and put it back without saying anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Ty1on

Togg, I may not have worded my question well enough. I don't really have a problem with keeping/getting it locked out. My problem is trying to decide who gets to use it. I have co-workers approach me and ask "where's the tungsten? I want to use the TIG welder." Then I have to try and figure out if they really know what they are doing. Of course everybody says they know how to TIG. I don't have time to go look over their shoulder to see if they really do somewhat know what they are doing. And when I say "No, you may not use it." - it doesn't go over very well. This is my problem.

I'm almost thinking of some kind of written test to determine if they at least have a good understanding of the proper things to do when TIG welding. (how to grind tungsten, cleanliness, metal prep, etc.)

Thanks,
Ty
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I would probably limit it to people who get approved to use the thing (approved by me or obviously you in this case). I have a Dynasty 210DX. They are not something that enjoys arc strikes. I have a suspicion that the folks who talk about these welders dying in a short span, have users (welders) who arc strike them constantly. They are not designed for short circuit tgaw. Transformer welders are a lot more tolerant of that sort of thing (imho).

Make sure you've got folks who don't dip the tungsten regularly, and approve only them.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

I would ask management to have a policy that anyone asking to use the machine demonstrates to you that they can actually use it. That keeps you from being the bad guy if you have to say no. Yes, it will be a pain having to watch everybody weld, but each person should only have to do that one time. You should be able to tell very quickly whether someone has any idea what they're doing or not.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Yep, people misusing/abusing tools and equipment is always an issue. It's certainly frustrating when people do this, since many of those same people would treat the equipment with much more respect if they are the one paying for it. And often it is not a lack of knowledge of how to use it, it is just laziness and a disregard for other people's property.

Sounds like having a qualification process is a good idea. However, here is another thing for you to consider:

How much time and money will be spent to get people "qualified", to track the qualification process, and for you or someone else to potentially have to issue the equipment when it is needed? How would these costs compare to potential repair costs over the course of a year? Just something to think about as you get a plan in place.
Ty1on

Thank you all for the responses! I really appreciate it. I needed to hear from some of you guys what your thoughts were on this, to make sure I wasn't too far off base here. For now, I'll just let it ride the way it is with me having everything locked up. But now I will be more prepared to handle this in the future when the topic comes back up.

Thanks again!
Ty
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Ah I get what your saying now.

Could do a very simple test of their knowledge by setting the welder up foraay alum and ask them to weld steel.

Watching what they do might be well worthwhile.

Ty1on

Toggatug wrote:Ah I get what your saying now.

Could do a very simple test of their knowledge by setting the welder up foraay alum and ask them to weld steel.

Watching what they do might be well worthwhile.

:lol: That's a good one. I guess there's lots of things that could be done along those lines for an initial test of an individual.

Thanks!
Ty
    Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Stock some coupons, say 4" x 4" x 1/8" in mild steel and aluminum.

Require a demo with a lap joint in one metal and a butt joint in the other. They can choose which metal. You can put out samples. If they can reasonably duplicate your work, they can use the toys. Shoot anyone that makes a sample gets it hung on the wall with their name on it...

Don't look over their shoulder, they need enough rope to hang themselves.

Cheers, Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

SusKatCas wrote:Stock some coupons, say 4" x 4" x 1/8" in mild steel and aluminum.

Require a demo with a lap joint in one metal and a butt joint in the other. They can choose which metal. You can put out samples. If they can reasonably duplicate your work, they can use the toys. Shoot anyone that makes a sample gets it hung on the wall with their name on it...

Don't look over their shoulder, they need enough rope to hang themselves.

Cheers, Alan
I’d say this is reasonable. Any other tool, lathe, drill press, heavy equipment, fork lift. Doesn’t mater any employer would either require proof of experience or demonstrated experience. It’s a safety and liability matter. I’d even go as far to say you don’t let someone drive your Ferrari unless you’ve seen them drive there car.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

You answered your question in your opening post. You stated there was not a lot of tig work, and that they usually got you to do it. So-limit the use of the Dynasty to yourself. Simple enough. And keep that thing covered when not in use. Those circuit boards don't like dust.
Ty1on

Thanks again for all the advice!
Ty
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

'Stang wrote:You answered your question in your opening post. You stated there was not a lot of tig work, and that they usually got you to do it. So-limit the use of the Dynasty to yourself. Simple enough. And keep that thing covered when not in use. Those circuit boards don't like dust.
Yup. Ask the boss to allow 1 and only 1 person to train should you not be there/available, so that he is your back-up if need be. Tell them who you want as the back-up, let them approve it all, and that's it. This isn't Toy R Us, at least it shouldn't be.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I agree with Oscar. The boss chose you to get it going,,,,must be a reason. It should take you to find man/woman to be your back up....with correct training. I ALWAYS had back up in the cockpit ... properly trained person. Good luck, you got this.