Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
stekay
    Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Anything to chose between the Edge or Furick Pyrex/Gas lens set ups? Cost, durability, performance?
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I am not sure which Pyrex I have. Probably furick? As I bought them from Jody site. They are fragile. I only use them when using a mirror. Like on the back side of a bracket where you can't see straight on. It's not like you are really looking through the cup, it's more the extra lighting on the weld area. At least in my small experience.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

stekay wrote:Anything to chose between the Edge or Furick Pyrex/Gas lens set ups? Cost, durability, performance?
i havn't used them, but was looking at them not long ago.
furick are a bit of pain as you need their gas lens, where as edge has adaptors so it fits on CK gas lens (i assume other brands as well). i think the edge system is better. plus edge has a massive range of cups. tempted to get some of their rectangular cups to fit in tighter places.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

tweake wrote: i havn't used them, but was looking at them not long ago.
furick are a bit of pain as you need their gas lens, where as edge has adaptors so it fits on CK gas lens (i assume other brands as well).
Furick cups fit any 3/32 gas lens. He used to sell a special Miller lens with a groove for the o-ring, but has since abandoned that and moved to CK lenses, which they always fit anyways.
stekay
    Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Thanks all, it's a bit complicated getting your head wrapped around all the options for various torch sizes as well.
cj737

stekay wrote:Thanks all, it's a bit complicated getting your head wrapped around all the options for various torch sizes as well.
What torch do you have/use? Buy the correct insulator and lens, and the Pyrex cups are pretty universal at that point.
https://weldmongerstore.com/collections ... 20-torches
tweake

cj737 wrote:
tweake wrote: i havn't used them, but was looking at them not long ago.
furick are a bit of pain as you need their gas lens, where as edge has adaptors so it fits on CK gas lens (i assume other brands as well).
Furick cups fit any 3/32 gas lens. He used to sell a special Miller lens with a groove for the o-ring, but has since abandoned that and moved to CK lenses, which they always fit anyways.
his web site shows you still have to use the modified lens for the glass cups. its only the ceramic cups that screw onto other gas lens.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737

tweake wrote:
cj737 wrote: Furick cups fit any 3/32 gas lens. He used to sell a special Miller lens with a groove for the o-ring, but has since abandoned that and moved to CK lenses, which they always fit anyways.
his web site shows you still have to use the modified lens for the glass cups. its only the ceramic cups that screw onto other gas lens.
He has started machining his own lenses to mimic the Millers he used to resell. His pyrex cups will fit any gas lens. The difference is the o-ring has a special "slot/groove" with his new (and old Miller) lenses. Even Jody sells/uses CK lenses with the Furick pyrex cups.
tweake

cj737 wrote:
tweake wrote:
cj737 wrote: Furick cups fit any 3/32 gas lens. He used to sell a special Miller lens with a groove for the o-ring, but has since abandoned that and moved to CK lenses, which they always fit anyways.
He has started machining his own lenses to mimic the Millers he used to resell. His pyrex cups will fit any gas lens. The difference is the o-ring has a special "slot/groove" with his new (and old Miller) lenses. Even Jody sells/uses CK lenses with the Furick pyrex cups.
ok, so i can't make head or tail of what you just said.
so looking at jody site it actually has a pic/video which shows the difference.

9,20 style water cooled torches the lens fit the o ring at the back of them. no mods or kit required.
the 17,26 style air cooled torches require a conversion kit which has a o ring slot cut into them, something the CK stubby conversion kit doesn't have. jody sells furick conversion kits for 17,26 torches.

it simply means for 17,26 torches you need the furick lens, for 9,20 torches you can use any lens.

i think edge gets around that issue by having a screw on adaptor which fits any lens.
tweak it until it breaks
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I've never tried the Edge cups (I think those are HTP...at least I recall getting some ads from HTP for those cups). But I do love me some Furick cups. When I need the increased shielding, I use the ceramic 10 and 12 almost exclusively, but only because those suit my needs and I don't have much reason to use the larger ones. Never had an issue with the Furicks. They work perfectly and they last. Can't ask for much more than that.