Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gunnare
    Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:51 pm

I Have a Syncrowave 210 that I purchased in 2014 or 2015. Until recently I have only tig welded with it and have not had any problems.

I was attempting to weld with some 1/8 inch 7018 at 120 amps. I was running the machine on a 240 V outlet. After about an inch and a half of weld the machine stopped working.

Now, when I turn the machine on, the display reads “SYNC 210” and the fan runs constantly. I cannot access any of the menus or machine functions after that.It seems like the machine is booting up but stops at that point.

I tested the outlet with a multi meter and it’s approximately 250V. I have plugged the machine into a 120 V outlet with the same result.

I pulled the cover off the machine and I did not observe anything on the circuit boards that was physically damaged or burned.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or help with repairing this myself, if possible.
Ballistic308
    Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Have you contacted Miller yet?
Gunnare
    Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:51 pm

Yes, I called Miller and was told it needs be taken to a service facility because it probably needs a board replaced. I’ve heard that will run around $1,000, which I can’t afford right now. I would try to replace the failed component on the board if I had a schematic to troubleshoot it.

I have a millermatic 180 which runs fine, but I will NEVER buy another miller product, ever again. Better off buying a Chinese tig welder and replacing it when it breaks.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Gunnare wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:04 am Yes, I called Miller and was told it needs be taken to a service facility because it probably needs a board replaced. I’ve heard that will run around $1,000, which I can’t afford right now. I would try to replace the failed component on the board if I had a schematic to troubleshoot it.

I have a millermatic 180 which runs fine, but I will NEVER buy another miller product, ever again. Better off buying a Chinese tig welder and replacing it when it breaks.
Not likely an entire board, more likely a component on the board. And these can easily be replaced by a Service Center. I have a 2005 Dynasty that needed repair, expecting a "whole board" fiasco... Was a simple fix by the local shop, ran $300, and it has worked flawlessly since. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Take it in, see what they say.