Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
vostro
    Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:04 am

Good day, I'm new to the forum.
Been arc (stick) welding but want to get into tig welding.
The investment into argon bottle and machine can be expensive.

I'm looking at mainly welding stainless and mild steel. But I'm thinking that i might as well get an AC/DC machine if the cost allows.
So that aluminium welding is possible.

Many popular machines are not available in South Africa. Reviews and YouTube videos don't exit on locally available machines.

So, I'm asking for advice if anyone knows of a good but affordable tig machine available in South Africa.

1) DC machine with HF start and pulse
2) AC/DC machine with foot pedal

Regards
Bob
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi Vostro,
I cannot honestly say that I have never checked out whats available in RSA, but I know Unimig and WIA/ miller are available in Aus Nz. Can recommend them well. if you are buying new.
I dont know what your budget is but personally if you are keeping costs low to start, try this.
get a 17 torch set with a valve to suit your stick welder, 1.6mm or 2.4 mm Lanth gold. whatever amps your stick welder will run, use that size material. find scrap. Gas lens and insulator.....dont forget the different insulators. you will be going back for a 2 buck part or leaving a gas lens on the bench til the next trip to tool store. and of course gas. that is you in the ball game. a good way to grind tungstens is nice too. I have used the 5 inch grinder way too many times and still do onsite.
when you are up to speed then either find someone who will let you weld on thier machines for base rate folding stuff till you know what you like to buy. :lol:
Gdarc21

Or,......... I just checked out a couple of online offering over your way and I dont recognise most of those brands. Thats ok though, it would be good to reach out to a fab shop around where you are and see what there using, or not liking etc. when your comfortable with tig you will know what you want to build and then what you need to buy. but a under 200amp Dc inverter( stick welder) with 17torch will definitley get you skilled up, and smiling when you get there ;)
vostro

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to go around this Friday and see what is available and chat to the guys at the supply shops
vostro

I finally decided on the Ryobi branded TIG200PAD AC/DC welder.
Bought it from the Ryobi agents here.
It comes with a 26 style euro torch and foot control.
The argon gas inlet connection is not the standard 3/8 but that's minor.
Does not come with a stick welding electrode holder. But I got an old one if I need it.
Machine has hot start on the stick option, welds stick much better than my old small pinnacle branded inverter

Used on Steel, stainless and tested on aluminium. All good thus far.
Attachments
ryobi tig200pad.png
ryobi tig200pad.png (510.93 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Gdarc21

That looks great Vostro. It looks like a tidy unit. I usually dont stick with my acdc unit, thats a personal preference though as I have a seperate inverter for stick. if you do stick with it get a cap for your tig torch gas outlet to keep crap out of it. I usually cap that outlet when its not in use. looking forward to project pics bro :D
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

vostro wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:13 am I finally decided on the Ryobi branded TIG200PAD AC/DC welder.
Crikey - 200 amps, pulse & 100% duty cycle!

I couldn't find a manual except for the 180 amp unit. Can you supply a link?

It appears that you did well - please post updates as you use it.

Regards
Jack
vostro

Here is the manual. Sorry it is just taken with my phone camera.

Regards
Rob
Attachments
Ryobi TIG200PAD Manual.zip
(13.28 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Jack Ryan

vostro wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:33 pm Here is the manual. Sorry it is just taken with my phone camera.

Regards
Rob
Thanks for that. I thought a PDF manual might be supplied - I didn't expect you to photograph it!

It looks impressive. I particularly like the explanation of the duty cycle - 100% duty cycle means that in a 10 minute period you can weld for 10 minutes and rest for 0 minutes. I would have struggled without that!

Please update with your findings as you get the time.

Thanks again Rob.

Regards
Jack
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Jack Ryan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 pm
highly unlikely to have 100% duty cycle.

it looks like the typical rebadged unit and the specs are probably highly inflated.
tweak it until it breaks
Jack Ryan

tweake wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:18 pm
Jack Ryan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 pm
highly unlikely to have 100% duty cycle.

it looks like the typical rebadged unit and the specs are probably highly inflated.
It seems unlikely but that's what it says in the manual. The proof will be in the trying.

Jack