Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Keelis
    Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:08 pm

I currently TIG weld with a Everlast 185dv (the older one that doesn't have pulse/etc,) with a pedal, but lately I've been bored and have found myself looking at different TIG welders the last few weeks (in my mind I'm reasoning that I can sell my current setup and use that money to step up to something with more functions). It got me questioning myself on why I think I need to look, so I'm just curious what there is to be gained from stepping out of my current Everlast into something that has more functions (like pre-flow, pulse, ramp up/down, etc)? I am a hobbyist, so I am not going to be welding the airframe on a commercial jet; but I just want to understand what would I really be giving up (if anything) by sticking with my current setup vs getting a machine with more 'adjustments'? I am 100% in the category of "I don't know, what I don't know", so I'm hoping to get some insight if there is any real reason to look at a new TIG setup compared to what I currently work with.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you use a pedal, “slope” is pretty unimportant as the pedal handles all that. Pulse is nice, especially on some thinner material and alloys.

Mostly higher end TIG boxes are going to be of use if: you need more amps than what you have, and you want some more features on AC (do much aluminum?) Different wave forms are nice to have, adjustable post flow, and of course pulse ranges.

Are any of these things really necessary (aside from more amps)? Nope. But they sure can be handy when you want great results NFR your experience level is below your aspirations.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Really the only thing you'd be gaining is pulse and that's not super critical. Adjustable pre-flow is nice, but not a big deal either. Just know that you won't get much for a used Everlast if you go to sell (I have one).
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT