Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mhoagland84
    Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:02 pm

hello.
im in the process of getting ready to build my offshore bracket to support a 300hp suzuki or yamaha outboard. i am building the bracket out of 1/4" 6061 and 1/2" 6061. i am on the fence about which filler metal to use. i have both the 5356 and the 4043 filler rods. i plan on powder coating the bracket when i am finished.

im looking for information on which would hold up better, the boat will be trailered alot and this will cause bouncing as it goes down the highway. which of the two rods would perform the best in this situation and then would the temperature from the powder coating process affect it much?

quite a few of the marine manufacturers build these brackets, the cost is pretty steep for something i can build myself.
any information is greatly appreciated! thank you!
Dimestack
    Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:30 pm

4043 is better for crack resistance. Lots of vibration on aluminum is no good. Take a look at any cheaply made aluminum ramps and trailers out there that have been in use. You’ll find one thing in common, they all have cracks. If you have the ability to bevel you should do so. If at all possible you should weld completely solid as not to leave a place for cracking to start. I always hesitate to guide less experienced welder towards trailers. You really need it to be safe, and so do the rest of us on the road.
mhoagland84
    Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:02 pm

I have all of the skills necessary to make a structurally sound weld. I'm mainly looking for inside on which filler metal will perform best. This bracket bolts to the transom of the boat and holds the engine. Similar to an Armstrong or pdr marine bracket. I can weld coupons with both fillers and test them if I can't get a definitive answer. Both will work. Just looking for the better of the two for the application. Thank you for the reply!!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

4043 over 5356. 4943 over 4043. 1/2” over 1/4”.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Id weld it with 4943. Get a stronger weld with it.

And most times with the cheap ally products That crack that I see they usually leave huge craters at the end of every weld. Or they just have no penetration. Least that's what I see and repair

Curiousity sake how many ponies you have available to let out of the stable for this project?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk