Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Chiliatch
    Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 pm

Hello!

I think my question is pretty straight forward. I have a LOTOS TIG200AC/DC. It has the option for AC and has a balance knob but no frequency control. I am somewhat capable at steel TIG already but am trying to get better at aluminum. Will not having access to a frequency knob severely limit what I can achieve? I know welders did without frequency control for many many years, but I just was curious what the drawbacks are of not having that option.

Thank you!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Check out Jody's videos on TIG welding aluminum inside corners.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

If it’s not going to damage any gear it’s worth an experiment. It would be worth it to find out what happens.
Controlled experiments, unlike the day I learnt that freshly re sharpened lanthanated looks just like 309 stub when you too busy to carefully check :shock:
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You’ll be fine. Drop the hood, light the torch, and weld. Don’t get hung up with features that aren’t required. Yours is likely set to 120Hz, which is VERY commonly used for all but highly specialized applications.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Chiliatch wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:05 pm Will not having access to a frequency knob severely limit what I can achieve?
no.

while its handy for a couple of things its not a must have feature.
tweak it until it breaks