Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm

I've been practicing my TIG welding for a few months now and am starting to lay down some passable beads on 1/8" thick or better steel. Recently I've been playing with the pulse settings while trying to weld some .05" wall rectangular tubing with fair results. HOWEVER, when I go from welding parts clamped down to the Fab table to trying to weld something freestanding (in this case a set of stairs) it all goes to hell in a hand basket. So, I was wondering if you could do a video or three on how to weld "off the table", or something not clamped down; or at the least had a few tips.

Thanks
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

might pay to put a pic up of where it its turns to hell.
a lot of the time its because your not comfortable. as jodi says, ABC always be comfortable. trying to force your body to stay still using muscles usually ends up with you shaking which screws up the weld.
tweak it until it breaks
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi Tim,
are you welding new builds or pre existing. there is a substantial difference in clean between them.
are you assembling the parts, or are you sure its been cleaned, not just in the weld area but where it will peno aswell.
I personally think it matters where you clamp your earth, closer the better. site work can effect gas flows due to crossbreezes etc that you might not have on bench maybe. turn gas up a little may help.
I have never had to tig tackweld stairs but it should be same as for any other process, except way slower.
what part are you have issues with exactly? the out of pos welding, assembly or just the welding.
unless the designs are yours or your clients intellectual property, pictures of the project would be cool.
cheers mate.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Tim8888 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:34 pm I've been practicing my TIG welding for a few months now and am starting to lay down some passable beads on 1/8" thick or better steel. Recently I've been playing with the pulse settings while trying to weld some .05" wall rectangular tubing with fair results. HOWEVER, when I go from welding parts clamped down to the Fab table to trying to weld something freestanding (in this case a set of stairs) it all goes to hell in a hand basket. So, I was wondering if you could do a video or three on how to weld "off the table", or something not clamped down; or at the least had a few tips.

Thanks
I don't think Jody is doing free Youtube videos much these days. His Youtube channel has basically dried up. He seems focused on his new paid service: welderskills.com. He even has a new forum over there. He almost never checks into this forum, even before he started his new venture.
Multimatic 255
Gdarc21

Louie1961 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:16 am
I don't think Jody is doing free Youtube videos much these days. His Youtube channel has basically dried up. He seems focused on his new paid service: welderskills.com. He even has a new forum over there. He almost never checks into this forum, even before he started his new venture.

Thats ok, we'll fend for ourselves :lol:
Just like any other day. We share a problem, we share some help.
More info would be good though ;)
Gdarc21

So I have started taking notice of dates on some of the videos that Jody posts on you tube, and they are pretty recent, maybe email or comment section on a recent vid may get a request through, mate

Jody used to do weekly videos, for years, like clockwork. The last three videos were all 1 month apart. His focus on Youtube has definitely diminished.
Multimatic 255
Gdarc21

I reckon that’s bound to happen though. I purchased his complete DVD set in July, it’s still coming on the Covid express though, Auspost. but if the YouTube vids are anything to go by, there would be most of the welding components of a Fabrication trade in there, with lots of stuff that you may not see day to day in a trade( and some gems that the older guys know that the young in’s can’t find in a book) :) . He has covered a fair bit of ground it might be just rehashing stuff now to do one a week unless it’s something he hasn’t done, so I’d suggest telling him a little bit of what you wanna know. It may happen.

If you are interested in fabrication tips, check out the fireball tools youtube channel as well. Jason has some good videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQLbdILaSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDeIq3SZNRs&t=1447s
Multimatic 255
    Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Sorry I didn't see everybody's response before I painted my latest project. I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two.