Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I am wondering how you guys get your ss welds to look so shiny. My welds look decent but they are dull no shine at all. I run my argon at about 15 so that there is no turbulance. I have to run now look forward to hearing.
steeldr.
    Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am

I don't have any videos or pics to download, but I can give you a few pointers that might help you get a better looking weld on ss sheetmetal; try using more amperage and increase the travel speed. next. shorten the tungsten stickout and lead the torch aprox. 7-10 deg. next, be sure to clean both the base metal and filler wire.
The reason for a faster travel speed is to keep the base metal as cool as possible as it leaves the argon coverage from the torch........hope this helps. ron
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Greg From K/W wrote:I am wondering how you guys get your ss welds to look so shiny. My welds look decent but they are dull no shine at all. I run my argon at about 15 so that there is no turbulance. I have to run now look forward to hearing.
Fronius make a device called a "MagicCleaner" that electromechanically cleans SS. I used one once, and was suitably impressed.

This picture is a sample piece of 1.6mm stainless. After the weld, the purple oxide discoloration continued along the entire length.

Then one end of the weld was given a single wipe with the cleaner nozzle (a few seconds). This was perhaps 2 or 3 years ago.

These pictures (taken today) shows exactly how the weld remained ever since.
P1040100.JPG
P1040100.JPG (22.78 KiB) Viewed 681 times
P1040101.JPG
P1040101.JPG (21.88 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Last edited by TRACKRANGER on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Some statistics on the above weld:

External Corner Fillet of Stainless Flat

7 L/min Argon
Electrode 1.6 Tungsten. 35 Amps DC
Material 1.6 Stainless Steel sheet
Filler Rod: 1.6mm dia stainless

HTH, Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
jrogers80
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:13 pm

I am having the same problem and I do not have a gas lens or a monster cup so I tried sticking stiles steel wool in my cup to diffuse the gas and it seemed to help a little but my beads were still dark and light gray. But if I rub them with a rag they shine up considerably. I am new to tig welding and still experimenting.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

A lot has to do with amperage, total heat input and travel speed. While I prefer my gas lens a regular lens setup works just fine and will net that purple/ gold color.

I use Wondergel by Derustit for Pickling all my stainless welds, pulls the color right out and preserves the weld/stainless properties.
Attachments
IMG_20140704_110144.jpg
IMG_20140704_110144.jpg (54.84 KiB) Viewed 581 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB