Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Useless question, but, does anyone know what #17, #9, #20 etc actually mean?
And why 18 is a watercooled 17
But 20 is a WC 9?
Etc.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

They were model numbers originally, from Weldcraft I believe. The numbers are not a measurement per se. smaller number torches are "generally" smaller in size and handle lower amps. But there are lots of differences in amp ratings/duty cycles between manufacturers. The air cooled torches are usually 9,17, and 26. 20 is a water cooled #9 and 18 is a water cooled #17. But lots of manufacturers like CK now have different model numbers and you will frequently see torches referred to as a "9 style" or "17 style", which is really just a clue as to which collets and cups will fit that torch. The collets, collet bodies, gas lens collet bodies, cups, and back caps all generally standardize on one of two styles...9 and 17. Again, all of this is a generalization, so before anyone jumps on me about a WT-60 torch, please don't.
Multimatic 255
Wells
    Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 pm

Q (of Qanon fame) has been hiding cryptic messages in the naming structure of TIG torch lines. All will become clear when Q drops the anon and rises to power, and the codes will become instructions and make perfect sense. My CK 17 air-cooled 3 series torch told me just the other day that I should get ready because it won’t be long before the revolution begins.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Wells wrote:Q (of Qanon fame) has been hiding cryptic messages in the naming structure of TIG torch lines. All will become clear when Q drops the anon and rises to power, and the codes will become instructions and make perfect sense. My CK 17 air-cooled 3 series torch told me just the other day that I should get ready because it won’t be long before the revolution begins.
Nahh man it's the illuminati dontcha know. If I had the time or the skill I'd draw random triangles on a Tig torch to clearly prove my point.

Ahah thanks for the laugh though I quite enjoyed that post, probably more than I should've but oh well it's Friday

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Wells wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:59 pm Q (of Qanon fame) has been hiding cryptic messages in the naming structure of TIG torch lines. All will become clear when Q drops the anon and rises to power, and the codes will become instructions and make perfect sense. My CK 17 air-cooled 3 series torch told me just the other day that I should get ready because it won’t be long before the revolution begins.
I dont know what gas your using but maybe you should try argon. Welds go better and torches are less chatty :lol: :lol: :lol:
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Torch and torch part numbers were devised by a complete retard.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

the naming and numbering system for the tig torches was designed by the same hammer head that came up with common core math. QED.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

It's easy peasy.
Add 8 to 9 gives 17.
Add 9 to 17 gives 26.
Now 8x9=72.
But 9+17+26=52
Take 52 from 72 gives us the size 20 water cooled torch designation.
See? Got it now?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Damnit that makes sense. :shock:
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Leave it to Coldman to show us all how silly we are. :lol:

Easy as , "I before E except after C and in occasions like Neighbor and Weigh".
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

BugHunter wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:38 am Leave it to Coldman to show us all how silly we are. :lol:

and thats why i suck at English.
tweak it until it breaks
robtg
    Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

tweake wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:02 pm
BugHunter wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:38 am Leave it to Coldman to show us all how silly we are. :lol:

and thats why i suck at English.

Try using fonix.
BillE.Dee

Don't listen to any of them.... coldman, he's snortin R-12, buggy is an engineer, tweake is upside down and josh is corny. Listen to ME,,,,it's all about common core math with a touch of fonix mixed in. I'm old, got seniority and I'm the WINNER. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,,,, time for hard cider.
Wells
    Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 pm

The key to learning English is to ignore the rules and focus on the exceptions.

While no one’s welding knowledge has been augmented by this thread, it’s still good stuffs.

Levity helps me levitate
BillE.Dee

Got to have some kind of fun while we're here. Trust me,,,,nothin on the "other side".