Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:19 am

Hi again

my gas lenses and cups were arrived.

i installed them but when i press the button my torch sound different like gas leak

i removed and installed again but no different

is there any difference between the conventional setup and the gas lens in terms of sound?

i tested for gas leakage, there is no leak, when I take out the tungsten and close the cup side, there is no gas leakage.

Regards,

Semih
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

If there was, I don't think I've heard much. Not enough to tell a difference, IMO. As long as you're not leaking gas and producing compromised weld beads, then I don't think it plays a huge role, but then again we're not there to hear the difference.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Check your pressure setting on your flow regulator. If it’s putting out over 50 psi then there is a difference in sound when switching torch styles. I have a different regulator and flow meter I use with my gas lens stuff. I leave it on a dedicated torch and just swap my thumb control.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi semih,
Did you change the insulator as well. Sometimes, most times, the standard insulator doesnt seal perfectly with gas lens cups. Especially with stubby setup.
If you want to check for a leak purge gas through and then turn bottle off. Leave for a few mins to see if regulator pressure drops. If not, then gas all the way to solenoid is fine. Then check torch for gaps. Especially back cap make sure its tight enough. Make sure gas lens is tightish too. Could be a regulator noise. I use a dual guage 'mickey mouse' type gauge and it makes a slight noise at 6 lpm. Ticks alot under that. So I dont go under 7 lpm. And that noise will only happen when you engage gas too.
As Oscar said if it all checks out fine then as long as welds are fine, you just have noisy gas.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

shouldn't be a difference in sound unless your ears are that sensitive. The difference you should be seeing is how the gas lens is spreading the gas flow over a wider area without distorting the puddle.
    Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:19 am

thanks for replies,

i did leakdown test again and no leak (regulator hoses torch etc.)

but now i'm sure that sound is gas lens sound and also i increased the flow

and

I was using the cup number 7 while practicing and now I have switched to number 12, the protection of the argon really made a difference in the welding quality, as an amateur I can notice it

semih