Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Buy a bigger bench top shark. The little sharpie is ok for the occasional use or job site work. But they don’t last long.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Kodokan wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:45 pm
tweake wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:50 pm 7 series alloy is often not weldable. leave that to the aerospace guys.
One of the welding projects I have is a swingarm made from 7020 aluminum.

Need to patch it, probably with 6061. Thinking about 5356 filler rod.

Depending on my welding progress (and my cancer progress), I may only do the tack up, not the finish welding.
We shall see.
i would go ask the pro's first as its in the super advance level. especially something like a swing arm which will have really bad outcome if it fails.
the problem is not so much the welding, but that the heat can stuff up the metal enough that it can easily fail.
its either a non-weldable aluminium or requires very special procedures.
tweak it until it breaks
Kodokan
    Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 am

Poland308 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:31 pm Buy a bigger bench top shark.
Are you referring to a bench top grinder?

A 3" bench grinder with a diamond wheel could be much cheaper than a Sharpie, but not sure the quality of electrode grinding is comparable.
Kodokan

tweake wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:02 am its either a non-weldable aluminium or requires very special procedures.
There are beautiful welds all over it.

I hear what you're saying, though. I'll be very careful.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Kodokan wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:02 am
Poland308 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:31 pm Buy a bigger bench top shark.
Are you referring to a bench top grinder?

A 3" bench grinder with a diamond wheel could be much cheaper than a Sharpie, but not sure the quality of electrode grinding is comparable.
https://diamondground.com/shop/shoppira ... e-grinder/
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Kodokan

tweake wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:50 pm for back purging use a twin meter/outlet argon regulator. no need for 2nd tank.
Thanks.
Second tank will be for more volume of argon. Easier for me to transport two 80cf tanks than one 125cf. Also, I can use the 2nd tank for 75/25 if I use the MIG. I have a 2nd regulator setup that came with the MIG.
Kodokan

Been busy trying to get supplies. Takes a long time to check prices on this stuff. Never bought any of it before, so I don't know what to expect. Still have more to order, but this basic stuff is on the way:

Weldmongerstore.com-
ER70S-2 = .045, 1/16, 3/32
ER4043 = 1/16, 3/32
ER5356 = 1/16, 3/32
Mag Tab
CK Stubby Gas Lens Kit
Reg & Lg TIG Finger

Weldingsuppliesfromioc.com:
2% Lan 3/32, 1/8
3350 Helmet
Helmet Lens Covers

Cyberweld.com:
2% Lan .040
Full Argon Tank 80cf

Amazon.com:
2% Lan 1/16

Just want to start with steel and aluminum. Stainless and Titanium later.
Kodokan

Supposed to be doing this for fun, so got some fun stuff from weldmetalsonline.com:

Aluminum Bronze Filler
Silicon Bronze Filler
ER70S-2 .035"
Mild steel pie cuts
Tube Cope Kit
Steel Cube Kit
Aluminum Cube Kit
Steel Coupons 1/4", .065"
Aluminum Coupons 1/8"
Kodokan

Poland308 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:31 pm Buy a bigger bench top shark. The little sharpie is ok for the occasional use or job site work. But they don’t last long.
The tungsten grinder is a tough one for me.

Checked out the Piranha II. Definitely looks good, but the cost is just too much for me to get past. More than double the price of the Sharpie DX (corded).

The Sharpie is expensive, too, and I'm not surprised if they don't last long. Suppose I'm only working with 1/16" electrodes. Every tungsten goes into the same hole. I'm guessing that every electrode hits the exact same 1/16" band on the grinding disc. That part of the disc would wear out fast, and the rest of the disc would be completely unused. And, do I have to buy extra grinding discs and change them every time I switch from steel electrodes to aluminum electrodes, etc.?

I tried out a 3" bench grinder that a friend has. I don't think there's any way I could consistently grind tips that are even close to the quality of the Sharpie.

Looks like it's going to be a small bench grinder, or a Dremel set-up of some kind. Still undecided.
Kodokan

Spent a lot of time reading about all types of tungsten grinding techniques. My head hurts.

Turns out, I have an old HF 4x36 belt sander. Saw Jodi using one to sharpen his electrodes.

Will order some new belts (80 and 120 grit) and hold on purchasing a proper tungsten grinder.

Full argon tank is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Very excited!! Can't start burning yet- but getting there.
Kodokan

Received the Argon cylinder.

Sticker is covering up the DOT and DATE stamps.

That's shady, right?
Kodokan

Sticker said "Do Not Remove", so I just peeled it back to check the date.

2015, as advertised. So, hopefully, all is good. Not sure because I thought the date is supposed to be in MO-YR format.

Kodokan

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks much to you guys for helping me on my welding journey.

Seems more like xmas, with all the welding supplies arriving. Happy time in the Kodokan garage.

Stepping out to a "Roll Your Own" sushi party. Hope you all have a great day with friends/family.
Jeff2016
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi,

How goes the TIG experience?

I’ve received a lot of great advice from folks on this forum,

Everyone has different abilities. Me… I’m slow.

Toughest part for me is older eyes.

I’m grateful to have a wife that let’s me indulge in this new hobby.

When I bought everything to get started I thought that I would be learning mild steel and aluminum. I first fired up the TIG welder 18 months ago. I have focused all the time that I’ve been able to spend on steel. I haven’t wanted to complicate things with switching to aluminum. The time I can spend isn’t always too predictable. It’s hard to be consistent.

As others have said, it takes a lot of practice, and with some like me it might take twice as much to build muscle memory.

After the basic gear, I think the following are some of the most important things I’ve learned (maybe the hard way) that might be helpful to you.

1. A good table and comfortable stool makes it easier to stay comfortable. Having a cramped area really makes it hard to keep stuff from messing up your concentration.

2. Argon sure doesn’t go a long way. At about 20 cfh during pre-flow, welding, and post-flow there’s going to be less than 4 hours in an 80 cf bottle. Even the 150 I’ve been leasing the last 10 months only lasts 10 days or 2 weeks with the time I’ve been able to spend the last couple of months. I found a different local welding supply that delivers a 300 cf cylinder to a residence for $34. It beats hauling the 150 cylinder back and forth myself. They have a lifetime lease that you pay up front that’s not cheap; but, if you keep the cylinder longer than 3 years it’s cheaper than a normal lease.

3. If you don’t have perfect eyes, a cheater lens in your hood is really important. Everything you do to see the puddle more clearly really pays benefits.

4. Welding coupons take away some of the variability from scrap. Not something to continue forever, though.

5. I bought a tungsten grinder that was on sale from Arc-Zone a while ago. In retrospect it was a good choice for me. I know the grinds are consistent and uncontaminated. And I’m sure that I didn’t grind away as much of the tungsten as with other methods.

6. Welding on thicker metal (at least for part of the time) really does make it easier to see the puddle.

7. Good lighting is important, too.

The key for me was/is really taking my time and enjoying small bits of improvement.

Sorry for the long post. I hope some of it helps.

Jeff
Kodokan

Thanks, Jeff. Definitely helpful.

Still working on my setup. Didn't realize how many things I'll need. Trying to make sure I have everything before welding school starts in January. I'll probably be short on free time, then.

I'll update the list tomorrow, so you can see where I'm at.

The 27 torch that came with the TIG is larger than I thought. I need a 2 inch prop under my hand to position on a flat surface. The stubby gas lens kit will help, but I can see a big advantage to having a flexible torch head. So, I got a 90 degree 27F Miller redhead and handle. Couldn't find the Lincoln 27F in stock, and they don't make a 90, anyway.

I'll also start a thread on my ideas about learning style and practice techniques. You guys will probably have a good laugh.

Most of my welding projects will be aluminum and titanium, so I'll start with steel, but I'd like to jump on aluminum soon.

I better not wait too long to get started on titanium, either. One of my projects is an elaborate titanium burial urn. Will also make threads for my projects, when the time is right.

Also looking forward to trying TIG brazing, and coloring/zebra striping titanium and stainless with a propane torch.
Kodokan

Still working on getting the basics.

Ended up getting the Strong Hands folding table that tweake recommended. Also got TIG gloves, MIG gloves, hat, beanies, filler wire and tungsten storage tubes, and a magnetic torch holder.

The stubby gas lens kit didn't come with an .040 lens, so I got one of those, but messed up and ordered the wrong collet. Also ordered a 2-pack of Tillman 1490 work gloves from Amazon. Only received one pair. The replacement order came, also with one pair. Now I have to return both, and have nothing for my efforts. Will probably eat the cost of the collet. Already ordered the correct .040 collet. Still worried if I'll be able to have the Ar tank filled.

Need more stuff. Can't do much without a stool/chair, wire brushes, clamps, etc.