Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Just curious if anyone has any experience with MTS (midwest tungsten supplies)
All three of my go tos dont stock 2 percent lanthanated, one suggested 1.5 percent but I have found them to be useful but not great.
Amazon has MTS and patriot metals, MTS seem more legit as I cant find any non amazon info on patriot. I dont pay diddly on shipping from amazon, yet from anywhere in Aust it could be upto 50 Aud. Any ideas
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

They work great for me. Don't TIG too often, but never had any issues.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

So MTS are a quality supplier, I will get an order in then.
Thanks
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

MTS has been fine when I've used their tungsten, Haven't ran more than a few pieces of it, as it was what the school used and I wasn't going to turn down another piece of tungsten :D.

To be completely honest, if someone else said MTS seemed to hold up even a little bit better than CK I wouldn't doubt their experience at all. Maybe it was because I kept expecting the MTS tungsten to start blasting the tip up long before I ever dipped it or id expect a slightly more expensive one to or maybe it was because I generally ran the MTS 2% lanthanated on the schools dynasty 280 and my CK on a mixture of everything but primarily at home with a touch start rig. But I noticed several times that the MTS just seemed to stay pristine so much longer than I expected. I can hardly say one might actually be better than the other but they seemed at least equal in quality to me.

I will however stand by the statement that the piece of 2% thoriated old school made in the US Sylvania tungsten was so far above any other Chinese 2% thoriated that it was obvious. If any other 2% thoriated held up as well I'd actually understand why it still exists instead of being replaced entirely by 2% lanthanated which I think handles DC better than 2% thoriated in addition to also running on AC. that Sylvania tungsten might've held up slightly better on DC than any other piece of tungsten I've ever used. Pretty sure 2%lanthanated didn't even exist back then though, shame.