Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:08 am

Hi,

I have noticed something on all „Import“ Chinese Tig Machines i have welded with students at my tig Workshops.

Whenever these machines generate their High Frequency with a „open arc“ Spark Generator, where you can see the arc in the machine, they have a massive Problem when it comes to AC.

When you start on AC the cleaning action right of the start is poor, it almost tends to look like the metal under the Oxide Layer is going to melt and when the puddle established it wont run fluid like with a industrial Machine.

The dirt from the beginning carries on.. Compared to Industrial Tig Machines like my Weco or others i had it makes a huge difference. The good machines provide a clean and stable puddle right From the start.

This way it is always a pain in the *** to dial the cheap machines in for Workshops. Some of them dont even allow to manipulate freq or balance.

I tried many settings, different cup sizes, gasflow and tungsten but these Machines never gave me a perfect result. Even with Perfect prep..

I dont like Pepper on those beads, it is hard for a beginner to recognize when the puddle is okayish.. when i let the Beginners Weld with my Weco they got better results within minutes, just because That Machine does its job.

Maybe some of you have Tipps for dealing with this?

Maybe its just the „Open arc“ Technology but there must be a way to improve…

Kind regards
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Getting rid of it will immediately improve your welds. :)
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Deichwerkstatt300 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:04 am I have noticed something on all „Import“ Chinese Tig Machines i have welded with students at my tig Workshops.
Perhaps it is more to do with comparing bottom dollar machines with top dollar machines. Why not use industrial Tig Machines like your Weco at your workshops? Or something a bit cheaper but still functional.

Jack
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i doubt its the HF being the issue. more likely its because its not working enough on the positive side.
what sort of brands? they may be fakes
it could simply be they cheap out on the AC side of things. be interesting to see the circuits.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:08 am

I had customers with „Stahlwerk“ machines That where unpossible to dial in.

Then i had „Jasic“ Machines That did a lot better.

Worked on one yesterday and the Trick did a Alustar Tungsten, on That Machine way better then 2% lanth.

Still a lot tweaking!