Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
opiesvtx
    Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Hello all welders, I just received this from a friend who had this machine still in the original box, it's a, Wen Wet Wheel. the stone is finer than my bench grinder, its a whet wheel so I added water and it grinds my tungsten perfect it says on the box it is for sharpening knives. there are no definable grind marks looks like I scotch Brit-ted the electrode. Now I have not welded with it I will try it tomorrow when I start a new project, do you think the water will have any effect on the tungsten?
Attachments
Wen Wet Grinder-1.jpg
Wen Wet Grinder-1.jpg (136.44 KiB) Viewed 710 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Water will have no effect. That's an excellent sharpening tool. Unless you're welding razor blades, it's actually overkill, but if it works quick and easy, you're a step ahead.

One thought... avoid crapppy mineral filled water, especially for those razor blades. De-ionized or distilled is the way to go, since you have an over-the-top sharpener anyway. :D

Steve
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Right on I have one of those too. I was considering taking it into work for that too. I think I will now. Thanks for posting the question. I hadn't had time to ask it myself. RIght on. :D 8-)
NT Unique

That's the go! I was going to buy a dedicated small bench grinder for sharpening tungstens as there was no way I was forking out the hundreds of dollars for the special grinders.
And I can do my knifes!

Cheers
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Just a thought, but would the wet system not help stop the thorium and stuff from becoming airborne? To me, that would be a benefit.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I handn't considered that, as I've not really been concerned about Thorium intake (I've probably breathed more Arsenic working shutdowns), but you're right, I'd think the wet wheel would reduce the amount of metal dust being released.

Good observation.

Steve