Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

Has anyone welded zincanneal? I've got a gable end vent which is out of zincanneal and it was installed around 15 years ago.
It's about 1mm sheet and I didn't make it but the welds are small so I am assuming tig welded. I can see that there is rust on the welds inside and, unsurprisingly, nothing other than that.
I've managed to apply some rust converter to most of the welds using a lengthened small brush. Very tight working from the inside. It's painted on the outside but bare zincanneal finish on the inside.
It has lasted this long without a problem so will probably outlast me.
Anyone with experience in a similar situation?
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

If the tinplate I weld at work is the same as what your calling zinc anneal then I find the backside and HAZ become prone to rusting since the zinc/tin burns off during the weld.

All we've ever done is post welding we'll sandblast and prime the whole part since it gets a coat of black paint once complete.

You could try after rust converting to spray it with a zinc based paint spray bomb to cover up the rusted areas. Not sure if the Inc paints come in cans that you could brush on though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

Toggatug wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:57 am If the tinplate I weld at work is the same as what your calling zinc anneal then I find the backside and HAZ become prone to rusting since the zinc/tin burns off during the weld.

All we've ever done is post welding we'll sandblast and prime the whole part since it gets a coat of black paint once complete.

You could try after rust converting to spray it with a zinc based paint spray bomb to cover up the rusted areas. Not sure if the Inc paints come in cans that you could brush on though.

Okay thanks,
http://www.prguru.com.au/zincanneal-ste ... 93%200.025
Zincanneal is different to plated sheet/material in that the zinc is impregnated into the sheet.
I gave up on any ideas of spray painting due to thinking of over spray, but with hindsight realized I could have used a matched paint. Also would have needed to use an extended tube on the nozzle, although not an impossibility.
The genius of 'hindsight'! Anyway there is zero evidence of any rust on the rest of the vents, that's after around 15 years. As one of your fellow countrymen would say; "Good enough for the women I go out with!"
Toggatug

gnabgib wrote:
Toggatug wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:57 am If the tinplate I weld at work is the same as what your calling zinc anneal then I find the backside and HAZ become prone to rusting since the zinc/tin burns off during the weld.

Okay thanks,
http://www.prguru.com.au/zincanneal-ste ... 93%200.025
Zincanneal is different to plated sheet/material in that the zinc is impregnated into the sheet.
I gave up on any ideas of spray painting due to thinking of over spray, but with hindsight realized I could have used a matched paint. Also would have needed to use an extended tube on the nozzle, although not an impossibility.
The genius of 'hindsight'! Anyway there is zero evidence of any rust on the rest of the vents, that's after around 15 years. As one of your fellow countrymen would say; "Good enough for the women I go out with!"
Ahh I see, learn something new everyday.

I'd hazard a guess that's it's still some kinda burnout/off issue with the zinc which would be doing to corrosion resistant part.

Could always get the colour match paint in a spray bomb and just shoot it into a paper cup to use with a brush, done that in a pinch before.

And aye more than likely it'll outlive whoever put it up there.

Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

gnabgib wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:39 pm Zincanneal is different to plated sheet/material in that the zinc is impregnated into the sheet.
I believe Zincanneal is a form of galvanising and it a surface treatment.

From the description in your link:

As with Zincanneal as a whole, Zincanneal G2S steel is commercial forming steel which has been matte hot-dipped in a metal alloy of zinc and iron.

Another common description, this one from Bluescope:

Zincanneal® undergos the hot-dipped galvanising process, which involves applying a thin coating of zinc to the base metal, to shield it from environmental factors. Zincanneal®, however, undergoes a post-galvanising heat treatment process which converts the coating into a zinc/iron alloy.

and

The product has a matte grey zinc/iron alloy-coating. The surface is spangle free and therefore suitable for post painting.

Not Earth shattering, but interesting.

Regards
Jack
Toggatug

Ahhh the joys of metal.

Love it when a customer brings something in and wants it welded but can't tell you what type of metal it is.

"Steel is steel though right? Just zap it together like I want"