Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
wtcollier
    Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:43 am

Done some MIG and stick, but just getting started with TIG - focus on aluminum. Seems that prepping/cleaning is really important. Looking for advice on aluminum prep and cleaning products and techniques. ie. ??? wire wheels, flap wheels, (need stainless?), sand/grit papers, acetone or other cleaning chems, etc., etc.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Anything powered is a mistake, it just pushes contaminants deeper into the metal. Use a dedicated stainless steel wire brush followed by a wipe with acetone and you should be good to go.
Multimatic 255
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Really depends on the alum your working with.

Brand new material that hasn't been through hell during storage you can get away with a stainless hand brush followed with a acetone wipe.

If we're talking dirty old aluminium that's been in service then the best I've found is.

Degrease before any abrasive/brush gets near it. Depending on contamination I either sand (for painted material etc) or use a power brush with a very very light touch.

Many companies make alum specific sanding wheels if I'm not mistaken. They're not a gimmick product like I once thought. They're worth every penny they charge for them.

Oh and something else I learned. If your sanding down alum to get a clean surface don't go much more aggressive than 80 grit.

80 grit seems to work on alum like 24 grit works on steel.

Any coarser than 80 and I find contamination just gets pushed and sealed into the alum so to speak.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

as above new stuff doesn't need much of a clean.

i use flap disks, probably an 80 grit, however i use a variable speed grinder. slow it right down and it works extremely well. don't forget to clean up all the chips and dust as that will screw up your welds later on.
the other is carbide bits, especially for grooving out cracks.
tweak it until it breaks
wtcollier
    Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:43 am

Great info. This will get me started on the right track. Thanks to all.