Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Omalleybrass
    Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:49 pm

I am not a welder. I am looking for advice for a process that we are looking to make a change in. We make brass instruments and need to seam thin brass sheet to form bells. Currently I torch braze(natural gas&compressed air w/flux applied) the sheets in a butt seam and it works Fine, but I’m looking for more refined way to get a more consistent seam.

We use c260 brass sheet in different thicknesses (.016 in , .020in, 025in)

I have heard rumors of other instrument manufacturers tig brazing, or even fusion welding seams with a tig welder. But our industry isn’t too open with processes.

I’m looking for advice on whether this is worth investing in, what machines and Setups I should look at purchasing. And even what gas mix would be best suited.

My budget on a kit is around $2,000, but flexible. I’m really just looking for the right fit.

Thanks for any input,
Miles O’Malley
O’Malley Brass Instruments
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

With those gauges you've referenced I'd be curious about going down the rabbit hole of handheld laser welders that keep popping up in ads for me.

Sorry I can't remember any brands or what not but they seam to do a decent job with thinner guage metals and the weld looks decent.

Might be worth a Google 'handheld laser welder'
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Try having a conversation with K-tig.
They might not have a solution in that price bracket but I would be confident that they would be easier to talk to about suitable processes than your industry appears to be. It may help.