Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Harry
    Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Pretty basic to most of you I am sure. How do you hold / clamp 2 pieces of aluminum together to tack weld them for Tee, lap or corner welding? LOL magnets will not work.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

No, magnets do not, but standard clamps do. Clamp them to a table surface or use a corner jig to clamp them. You can even buy Fabricator Squares (fireball tool makes great ones) that are super useful.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

don't forget third hands.
often you only need to hold it in place to get tacks on.
you never seam to have long enough clamps, or the ones that will fit. get the different types of clamps.
its often a case of making something work. i've used a stack of bricks and sat it down over it, then a weight on top to hold it all together.
also it pays to work that out early so you can plan your tacks and welds.
you can also weld tabs on so you have something for a clamp to grip to.
tweak it until it breaks
Harry
    Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Thanks for the tips. I think I will drill and tap some holes in my welding table to attach some clamps.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

In a pinch you can even use tape or zip ties for a quick tack, or for bigger awkward items a cargo ratchet strap works as well as long as the part doesn't get too hot.

Also have used stainless safety tie wire in the past for weird shaped items.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk