Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
suedePflow
    Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:26 am

Otto Nobedder - Thanks for your help in this thread. I have a paper copy of the manual, but I completely overlooked the page referencing duty cycle and output using a 15a plug.
fairmont1998
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 am

Geez! Power is so much easier in Australia. You have 240V 50Hz single phase.
Outlets can be 10, 15 or 20 Amp and the plugs to suit have different size terminals. All the plugs will fit a 20 amp outlet, the 10 and 15 amp plug will fit a 15 amp outlet, and the 10 amp outlet will only accept 10 amp plugs.
Then you have 415V 50Hz 3 phase in what ever amperage you need.
Cigweld 175i enthusiast.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

That is just what I thought. This post just got bigger than Ben Hurr. Im glad I just weld. If it don't go, call in a bloke who knows for sure. Thats my motto. lol.

Mick
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Geez! Power is so much easier in Australia.
The U.S. may be one of the most technically advanced nations in the world, but we sure aren't the most efficient. :oops:
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

That plug in the pic is I think a 50 amp plug. The 'D' shaped lug is the ground. Dont get a cheap 110v plug, get one that clamps the wire with 'grippers' when assembled. 15 and 20 amp outlets accept the same plugs. I would recommend using #12 wire.
My (ex) father-in-law was an electrical contractor and I worked for him when things got slow in the dirt business.(Which was quite a bit)
I have 2 extension cords (#6 guage) with the pictured m & f plugs on them, and they are marked as 50 amps.
My air compressor is 220 v & 20 amps, I made up an adapter to plug it into the 50 amp outlet, inasmuchas the motor has a built in circuit breaker on it, however, I have re-wired everything and they all have dedicated plugs/breakers.
-corn-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
suedePflow
    Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks again for the help everyone.
I bought everything last night and put together two extension cables.
I used 12-gauge and made the 15-ft adapter from 110v to 220v. And I made a regular 220v 15-ft extension cable using 10-gauge. I spent almost $100 on materials, but I did get nice stuff.