Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:22 pm

When I attempt to do a fillet weld (I'm using a Primeweld TIG225), I cannot get a single puddle to form. I usually get one puddle on the horizontal piece and another on the vertical piece. But even with a good fit-up, the puddles won't flow together into the single pretty puddle that I see in all of Jody's videos. Sometimes, my arc will dance from one piece to the other and never really form a puddle. I'm working with some thinner (.054" wall) square tubing for this project, even on thicker material I have the same problem; for some reason, my arc doesn't want to go into the root where both pieces meet.

For this project, my settings are as follows: 3/32 tungsten, .045 filler rod (MIG wire), 75 AMPS, 1.5 pulses per second, and Jody's recommendation of 33% on time and 33% background amperage. Also, I'm using a Furick #8 clear gas lens with about 3/8" tungsten stick-out and right about 20 sqfh of 100% Argon. Lastly, I'm trying to hold the tungsten about 1/8" from the material.

Any suggestions?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

This is common and in fact, what is expected. The trick is to get the puddle started on the bottom, then whip up to the vertical, puddle and very quickly back to the bottom and introduce filler. Pause a moment until the filler wets in on both edges and fills the root. Then proceed.

You might try dropping to a #5 cup until you get a bit more experience as the cup size allows a tighter arc to the material.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Hold the tip of the tungsten less than 1/16" from the material. You did not mention the orientation which is very important. Is the square tube standing on end, butted up against something else? The devil is in the details.
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

cj737 has the right of it. Could also have to do with tungsten prep., sharpen it to the angle you want and grind a flat on it. Also if you're not putting enough amps into it that can happen.
Attachments
guidelines-for-tungsten-electrodes-an-update-1615914153.png
guidelines-for-tungsten-electrodes-an-update-1615914153.png (50.19 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Wingnutt wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:47 pm ........... .045 filler rod (MIG wire),................Lastly, I'm trying to hold the tungsten about 1/8" from the material.
your simply holding it way to far back and long arcing it, which is why its dancing.
a rough rule of thumb is to hold off the work the thickness of your filler.

if you still have trouble with it nice and close, then check tungsten and amps (higher pulse rates need higher amps).
tweak it until it breaks
    Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:22 pm

I haven't had time to get back out to the shop, but I will definitely give these suggestions a try.