Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Hey guys,
I have a deco project. Not functional, no fears.
Is there a Chem to remove the rainbow? My project is thin and narrow so not much sugaring on the farside, so this is secondary.
I am sure there are some serious treatments out there. (In an industrial setting)
This is for outside in a container, or inside, if it's citric or something that won't get the wife's knickers in a pinch.
Thanks!
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

pickling/passivation acid. i highly recommend getting the neutraliser as well.
it won't get sugaring off, need a grinder for that.

i use the sandvik pickling gel paste but there is tons of brands out there.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

To remove the coloring, simply brush the weld with a clean stainless brush. This works very well especially while the weld is still hot.

Since the material is very thin and sugaring is present on the opposite side, personally I would not worry about passivation because that oxidation will be the source of rust if that piece lives outdoors.
tweake

i have doubts about the sugaring causing rust on the other side of the material. even if you grind it off it will still rust.
with just wire brushing, it will eventually rust. nothing major but it looks bad.

one of the reasons for pickling/passivation is to remove the iron from the surface so it can't rust.
tweak it until it breaks
nelson

Dufus.
I should have mentioned... 316 fusion, no filler.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
tweake

nelson wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:04 pm Dufus.
I should have mentioned... 316 fusion, no filler.
it makes no difference.
if you want stainless welds to not rust or to be clean then pickling acid is the way to go for home gamer.
yes its nasty stuff, so i do mine in the garage or outside. hence use the neutralizer to make it safer so i can move it to the hose and wash it off.
i find the neutralizer also helps clean what the acid doesn't.
tweak it until it breaks
nelson

Thanks a lot. I'll look for that juice.
How'd you know it was SS?
tweake

nelson wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:58 pm How'd you know it was SS?
not to sure what you mean.

i assume you had stainless as its the only common metal that gets rainbow colours and sugar on the backside.
if you where welding some exotic metal you would not be asking such questions.
tweak it until it breaks
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

12v power supply and dump as much salt in a cup of water it can absorb. Make an applicator, (wooden spoon with a sponge on it), swipe the sponge on the area that needs to have the coloring taken off. Start low on volts and work your way up until it works. Caution too much for too long and it will etch any stainless. The name I put in this sword is around an 1/8" or more deep.
Attachments
26962125_1986599894701725_2177354844815387335_o.jpg
26962125_1986599894701725_2177354844815387335_o.jpg (121.77 KiB) Viewed 1956 times