Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
austingtir
    Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:07 am

Hi,

Just went to use my kemppi mls2300 that iv had for years and not getting an arc out of it. Hf start works and its arcing but no current is coming out of this thing and no errors.

Checked connectors on front prob going to have to take a look inside now.

Anyone had this problem and sorted it?

I'll go try an arc rod with stick mode now.....
austingtir

Yeah mma mode works perfectly....

It did this briefly to me the other day then was working fine so didint think much of it tried tig mode again still not working....

Im thinking I need to check my tig lead connections in the tig handpiece itself.... The button clearly works.

EDIT: Wow I just tested resistance with a beep check on my multimeter from the tig torch tungsten to the connector lug on the machine... nothing... so deff looks like I need to look at that main power wire in the tig torch must of fallen out somewhere.
austingtir

OK so now on the phone to the kemppi reps here in NZ.

One of them just tried to tell me (I guess its possible) that this kemppi main current line for the TTC 250 W torch is just as expensive as buying a completely new torch (obviously the newer style ones). This main line splits at the machine end with a gas line going into I assume the inner core of the the wiring or flows gas around the outside of the current line or something it terminates at the water cooled torch with a small gas style fitting.

Which pisses me off because mine is setup nicely with the screw on swivel head and multiple different size tig heads for all my varying tig nozzles and different sized gear which is alot of moneys worth of stuff on its own.

so what they are suggesting is I just throw all that away and buy a new torch and start again which obviously grinds my gears a bit.

Can anyone help me with ordering the correct parts from overseas if possible because im kinda like fk these guys.

Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

austingtir wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:18 pm OK so now on the phone to the kemppi reps here in NZ.

One of them just tried to tell me (I guess its possible) that this kemppi main current line for the TTC 250 W torch is just as expensive as buying a completely new torch (obviously the newer style ones). This main line splits at the machine end with a gas line going into I assume the inner core of the the wiring or flows gas around the outside of the current line or something it terminates at the water cooled torch with a small gas style fitting.

Which pisses me off because mine is setup nicely with the screw on swivel head and multiple different size tig heads for all my varying tig nozzles and different sized gear which is alot of moneys worth of stuff on its own.

so what they are suggesting is I just throw all that away and buy a new torch and start again which obviously grinds my gears a bit.

Can anyone help me with ordering the correct parts from overseas if possible because im kinda like fk these guys.
I don't know the machine but you need to check for continuity from the machine (plug/hardwire?) to the electrode (ie, the gun cable). Within the machine, the main electrical difference between MMA and TIG is a contactor. It might be the contactor that has failed.

(Apologies if that is where you checked already).

Jack
austingtir

I don't know the machine but you need to check for continuity from the machine (plug/hardwire?) to the electrode (ie, the gun cable). Within the machine, the main electrical difference between MMA and TIG is a contactor. It might be the contactor that has failed.

(Apologies if that is where you checked already).

Jack

Its deff the main current cable in the torch. I get megaohms of resistance when trying to measure a connection betweem the tig torch end and the machine lug ends of the torch.

Kemppi reps in the uk quoted me about 80GBP for a new main current line which is more like it. But when I google the part number they gave me it appears to be a 2 meter long cable which doesnt make sense and I need to strip my torch down more at the machie end to make sure that end of the connection is the same the tig torch end looks right.

PN = 3147150 https://www.firemne-zariadenie.sk/Kabel ... 183214.htm

So that deff doesnt look right to me. I need an 8 meter version of that I suspect.
austingtir

Ok looked at my torch wiring a bit more and found that is the correct partnumber as once I cut the sheething back I found the connector about 1.8 meters back from the torch and that is indeed the part that has failed so hopefully this should be easy from here now I know the part number I need.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

austingtir wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:40 pm Ok looked at my torch wiring a bit more and found that is the correct partnumber as once I cut the sheething back I found the connector about 1.8 meters back from the torch and that is indeed the part that has failed so hopefully this should be easy from here now I know the part number I need.
Having trouble imagining exactly what has happened but good that you have isolated it. You'll be dipping tungstens again in no time! ;)
austingtir

Yeah I thought it was gas filled but of course its a liquid cooled current line which makes sense.

Actually a pretty nice compact design by kemppi even though its old now.

I wonder how they did their new line up of torches.

I wouldnt mind purchasing a small straight aircooled torch of the new lineup but to buy the nice adjustable head ones is big money and im used to this big water cooled torch even on small light welding jobs.
austingtir

This is the Kemppi parts breakdown of my watercooled torch.

Its part in the grey box that I am replacing to the right side the current line comes in from the left and is then fed cooling water at the junction and makes it a nice compact set of three lines going to the torch.