Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Marvinc
    Mon May 22, 2023 12:19 pm

I am getting a lot of pepper on the weld pool when I start a fillet weld on aluminum. I wipe down both pieces of the T joint with acetone before I start. After about a half inch or so of travel the welding pool becomes clear and shiny. I am using a no. 8 gas lens, 20 CFH pure argon, 3/32 lanthanated electrode, 3/32 4043 rod, AC, 120 hertz, soft square wave, 190 amps, foot pedal, ¼” aluminum. Help is always appreciated.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You did not indicate what AC Balance setting?

The pieces you are welding, were they clipped or saw cut?

Pepper at the start that clears up is a decent indication of lack of cleaning action. By the time you’ve traveled a bit and soaked some heat in and pushed the cleaning action ahead, the pepper will subside.

Unless the parts are pristine clean, I run 35% on my balance (Miller measures the EP side). Most people run less, but this gives me super shiny beads every time. I only ever run 28% on thick, clean material and I file the edges first with a dedicated metal file.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Marvinc wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:24 am I am getting a lot of pepper on the weld pool when I start a fillet weld on aluminum. I wipe down both pieces of the T joint with acetone before I start. After about a half inch or so of travel the welding pool becomes clear and shiny. I am using a no. 8 gas lens, 20 CFH pure argon, 3/32 lanthanated electrode, 3/32 4043 rod, AC, 120 hertz, soft square wave, 190 amps, foot pedal, ¼” aluminum. Help is always appreciated.
thats sounds massively underpowered. probably need to add another 100 amps to that.
are you sure its 1/4" ??
tweak it until it breaks
cj737

tweake wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:46 am thats sounds massively underpowered. probably need to add another 100 amps to that.
are you sure its 1/4" ??
I weld 1/4” all the time with a 200 amp machine. Granted, I need to preheat it to avoid burning up a torch, but 190 amps will get it done.
tweake

cj737 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:43 am
tweake wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:46 am thats sounds massively underpowered. probably need to add another 100 amps to that.
are you sure its 1/4" ??
I weld 1/4” all the time with a 200 amp machine. Granted, I need to preheat it to avoid burning up a torch, but 190 amps will get it done.
my miller guide says 280+ amps.
it will vary with % of cleaning, would also loose a bit with a wide cup and high freq.
but preheat would certainly help.
tho i must admit i've had some differences in aluminium, i've had 1/4" melt like it was 1/8". no idea on what grade.
tweak it until it breaks
Marvinc
    Mon May 22, 2023 12:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. Very informative and helpful.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

IF not preheating and waiting for the 190 to get her going, would a dash of preflow help? And backing the hertz back a tad to get the heat in there?
tweake

BillE.Dee wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:20 pm IF not preheating and waiting for the 190 to get her going, would a dash of preflow help? And backing the hertz back a tad to get the heat in there?
i can't see how increasing preflow would help, unless air is being sucked in somewhere and need to purge the line. easy enough to manually purge it.
lower hz would help with heating, as would using a smaller cup.
a good hot start so your not hanging around overheating the material.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737

BillE.Dee wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:20 pm IF not preheating and waiting for the 190 to get her going, would a dash of preflow help?
The biggest benefit of preflow when welding any metal is to evacuate any oxygen and improve the crispness of the arc at the start, especially allowing lower amperage starts cleanly. Has no impact whatsoever on “heating up” material.