Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Stork welds
    Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:52 am

Good morning all. I have just joined the forum but have been watching Tips and Tricks videos for some time now. I currently have a Miller 330 A/ BP welder as well as a Lincoln SP 135 plus wire feed machine. I am retired now from 20 years of manufacturing and 16 years of teaching shop classes at the high school level. I would like to start doing more tig welding including metal art/sculpture welding. I have never tig welded (only arc) with the Miller 330. I know it is older technology but in the day it was an excellent machine. What has your experience been with tig welding with the Miller 330? Should I sell both my machines and get a newer multiprocess machine? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I’ve not welded with a 330, but the only serious consideration to selling both and buying a single, new multi process machine is amperage and space. Most decent multi machines will run dual voltage, need a much smaller circuit breaker, and take up far less space than your two behemoths. So if those factors are justifiable, go for it.

I welded a really long time with an IdealArc before I bought my first “modern” TIG box and others.
Stork welds
    Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:52 am

Thanks for your input. I do have the space and I do not run the machine higher than the 50 amp breaker I have it plugged into. I just need a torch and a tank of Argon and I am all set to weld. I did read some older posts regarding this welder and the comments were positive.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For certain they are work-beasts. Transformer-based machines not the newer Inverter type. You won’t have as many fancy features, but skill and technique can easily overcome those. And for hobby-do welding, are they genuinely required anyway?
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

As CJ stated, the machines you have are work beasts and your skill and technique will get you around the fact that you don't have bells and whistles won't prevent you from producing great welds. The one thing I'd give thought to with having one multi process machine is ... should one of the capabilities of that machine go south and you have to ship it for repairs ... you're SOL. Should you have a few machines, you're still good to go.
There are several manufacturers that provide multi process machines at a decent prices. There is also folks in here that can give experiences with about all of them. You might even be able to locate someone close by that can let you give one a drive.