Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
croshaul
    Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

I normally run glass cups, lately I have been making exhaust pipes for my bike. I've been using a #9 torch and a 1/16" tungsten and for this I am using a ceramic cup because I didn't have any adapters for my glass cups. I changed over to my glass cups
and my weld turned to crap like I was running out of argon. My Tank is showing 40+ lbs. I turned my argon up with no difference, 10 to 20. I switched back to my ceramic cups and all is well. Any Ideas on this?
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

croshaul wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:00 pm I didn't have any adapters for my glass cups. I changed over to my glass cups
that has me a little confused.

they often need the correct gas lens and the correct insulator to seal properly. if not sealed well the gas flow can actually suck air in which really screws up the weld.
tweak it until it breaks
croshaul
    Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

I try to use 2 o-rings when I use the glass cups but I will have to give them a better look, air leaks never entered my mind. Makes sense. Thanks
taiwanluthiers
    Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:21 am

I've seen those Chinese green o ring gas lenses and glass cup, what's your experience with them? Is the furrick cup much better? It's like 20 times the price.

The Chinese standard cup works well so far.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

taiwanluthiers wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:13 am I've seen those Chinese green o ring gas lenses and glass cup, what's your experience with them? Is the furrick cup much better? It's like 20 times the price.

The Furick cups also are designed to be used with a specially manufactured gas lens that has an O ring groove milled into the body. Additionally, his larger cups use two diffuser screens which absolutely improves the weld. Will other cheaper options work? Probably. But if you’re doing high end work and results (penetration, appearance, contamination) matter, then there is no substitute.
tweake

taiwanluthiers wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:13 am I've seen those Chinese green o ring gas lenses and glass cup, what's your experience with them? Is the furrick cup much better? It's like 20 times the price.

unless your a workshop using huge amounts of consumables, just stick to the known good brands. theres no point skimping. you do not normally go through cups all that much and it only takes one problem with a cheap one to ruin your day/week and loose any savings.

that topic pops up quite a bit, quite often see people trying to find whats wrong, and it ends up being some cheap consumable.
tweak it until it breaks
taiwanluthiers

I'm paying not only 20 times more for furrick cups, it also costs a ton of money to ship to Taiwan because they charge ridiculous rate for shipping.

But I'm just using the Chinese stubby collets, they work well, as well as their standard, non stubby collets. I'm even seeing collets with beveled mouth for getting into tight corners.

I'm using Chinese everything, including welder because I'm right next door to china, and so logistically I have no choice.

Considering these welder is used for chinas huge manufacturing base, it can't be that bad.
tweake

shipping rates downunder are pretty horrific, so i share your pain on that. just have to pick the right time to buy.
Chinese can make really good gear, but its hard to tell if your buying good or not. huge amounts of junk in the market that looks identical to the good stuff.
tweak it until it breaks
taiwanluthiers

I'm going to try and see what I can do with the glass cup from China, but from another youtube video, the gas lens assembly itself is the exact same diameter/thread as the Furrick ones. He was talking about how he can just use Chinese cups and Furrick gas lens.

I'm already using Chinese branded welder, have no real choice anyhow, you cannot get any Miller, Lincoln Electric, or HTP branded welder here at all. If you have it shipped over, assuming the seller will even ship it (many seller of industrial tools in the US is US only, they won't ship international at all), you're paying over 10-20 dollars per pound to ship it, and most welder weights at least 30 pounds, for an inverter machine. You will likely pay almost as much as the welder for shipping, and most Western countries lack economical shipping option for consumers at all (only way to ship by sea is to ship very large amounts).

So I am going to work with whatever they got around here.

I'm sure Miller/Lincoln Electric or whatever all started somewhere. America looked like a third world country in the 1910s for example.

Shipping from China to Taiwan is about 10 RMB per kg (not pound), and their rate to ship to say the US is actually not much higher. This is for light sea freight by the way. For furniture/big heavy stuff, shipping rate is about 4 RMB per Kg, with a 400RMB minimum charge.

That's about 2 bucks per pound.