Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rjd1234
    Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I'm getting ready to weld a piece that will be part of fruit press. I have never welded this thick of stainless (304) before. I had the pieces cut with interlocking tabs and the strength will come from the structure, not the welds. The welds will be to keep everything in place and be blended smooth to remove corners and make the surface food safe.

I'm thinking tack, root, then cap (walking the cup). I think this will be a good opportunity to practice walking the cup... Since it will all be blended anyway.

Can anyone share guidance on sequence to reduce distortion? Settings for root and cap?
PXL_20231217_005930555.MP.jpg
PXL_20231217_005930555.MP.jpg (4.45 MiB) Viewed 4082 times
Attachments
PXL_20231217_005940528.jpg
PXL_20231217_005940528.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 4082 times
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i can't help with settings, that size is out of my league.
however a lot of gear i see, and use, often has minimal welding as the design carries the load no the weld. so often its just bare minimum weld, no filler used. or just enough filler to stop undercut.
all depends on the design and loads the welds will have to take.
tweak it until it breaks
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

The way I would do it is:
- find a way to clamp down all four quadrants at the same time without restricting access for the tig torch.
- set 180amps and use 2.4mm wire
- use a large gas lense cup, min #10
- light up in the corner, peddle to the metal, and go fast.
- go to the opposite side of the base plate and repeat
- skip around the quadrants till complete.
- consider 1" stitches to reduce total heat input
- release clamps only after the base plate has cooled to ambient.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
rjd1234

This is great. Thank you.

If I do 1 inch stitch welds, should I let the piece cool in between? Or try to keep it hot until the piece is welded completely?

Would you recommend walking the cup?
rjd1234

One more question... Would you recommend using pulse?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Up to you whether you walk the cup. I'd just lay wire it. At 180 amps you'll be going very fast if you're a cup walker.
Definitely not an application for pulse.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I too would weld in “quadrants” but I’d start in the middle with tacks, then out to the ends, tack, alternating sides and moving around. Think about the weld you just put down, where will it pull against? Weld there next to balance the stress.

180 amps seems high to me, I’d be lower and when stitching I’d be surprised if you’re above 130… That material is going to suck up the heat and be very hot reducing the need for amperage as you go. Definitely run a long post flow to avoid sugaring where the tabs pass thru the plate, unless you’re welding from the top side?

Another trick is to tack the round plate (that is shown as the top in your pictures) to another piece or your table. Weld the structure to it. Let cool. Then cut the top loose. Welding it down to a larger surface while you weld to it will prevent it from warping. 6-8 small tacks around the circumference will do it.
rjd1234

CJ737, yes, I will be welding the tabs as well. You can see the top tabs on the top, but there are also tabs in the bottom plate as well. Everything will be welded and blended so it looks like one piece... It will be used to make juice.

I have asked the laser cutting shop for some scrap to practice on... That will give me an opportunity to play with different amperages. I should have thought of that before.

I was planning to clamp the piece down to table for welding... Hadn't thought of tacking the piece to the table.

How much should I let the piece cool between stich welds?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you weld the plates down, then you don’t have to allow much cooling between stitches. But let it cool fully before cutting the tacks loose.