Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
GMcGurty
    Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:56 pm

Hello, I am brand new to TIG welding. I am using Synchowave 211. I’m trying to weld aluminum. Im just trying to practice making puddles. Sometimes, it just glows overly bright. What am I doing wrong. Argon is at 25. Frequency is at 120. I have it on AC. The tungsten tip is about 1/8” beyond cup.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

not sure what you mean by "just glows overly bright".

what helmet/hood do you have and what is it set to?
what amps are you running?
and what size material?
have you welded steel and/or stainless?
tweak it until it breaks
GMcGurty
    Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:56 pm

I am using an auto darkening helmet. I have it cranked all the way up to 210 amps. I was trying to weld 1/8" aluminum. I haven't tried other materials. Thanks for your response.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If your helmet is not darkening (if that’s what you mean) then there are 3 possible causes: batteries are dead, or solar charge is discharged, or you are too far away from the arc for it to respond to the brightness. Check the first two before testing the last one.

If you are saying the “weld pool” is glowing overly bright, then you might be using too much amperage. We can’t tell what you mean from your post.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

GMcGurty wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:49 pm I am using an auto darkening helmet. I have it cranked all the way up to 210 amps. I was trying to weld 1/8" aluminum. I haven't tried other materials. Thanks for your response.
it sounds like your learning to tig weld and starting on aluminum, which is a little tough. have you mig welded or stick welded?
there is just more variables that can go wrong. most start on steel as thats a little easier.

my guess here is you havn't got the helmet set right. with those amps and that aluminum reflects a lot of light back, so you need to set to a darker shade.
what shade setting do you have it set at?
what brand/model helmet?

amps is heaps, which is better than to little. are you using a pedal or any other variable amp?

also aluminum puddle is shiny. it doesn't glow like steel.
tweak it until it breaks