Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gomotomoto
    Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Just read that the red ones are radioactive. How dangerous are they?

Also, which colors should I ask for if I don't want to use the radioactive ones?

Thanks for any insight.
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

The red coloured ones are 2% thoriated and Thorium is mildly radioactive. The only hazard is when you grind it, the dust could be inhaled. I also wouldn't stick them in your mouth, but that is a whole other matter! lol
I don't think it is anything too serious, Just use reasonable care and caution.

You could use ceriated or lanthinated...depends on what you are welding.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

The red ones ( 2 percent thoriated) are midly radioactive but I have welded with them for years and don't have any health problems from them, I did just switch over to using 2 percent lanthanted recently because they seem to work better for ac. If you don't feel comfortable with them I would recommend going with the 2 percent lanthanted, most of the time they will be blue, but I believe some companies use yellow aswell. They are a very good all around tungsten but they are also double the cost as the 2 percent thoriated (red).
CoreyMac
    Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:36 pm

x3 on the thoriated tungsten. Just don't breath the dust when sharpening. I have also been welding for 20 yrs and this just came up a few yrs ago, everybody got all scared that it would cause you to grow a third eye :lol: It won't cause any issue when welding. Besides its the most universal tungsten IMO.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just took delivery of a new Miller 250DX at work, and they now include Ceriated (orange) tungsten in the consumables kit. This works fine for mild steel, but I haven't really tested it out on SS or Al. I prefer Thoriated for any steel, and am quite comfortable with "pure" for Al.

I have no fear of the radiation in Thorium. Your home smoke detectors are more radioactive (Americium-241). As advised, if you're concerned, don't breathe the dust when you sharpen them.

OTOH, you probably get more radiation walking on the beach in your swimsuit.

Steve