Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

I've been doing some test pieces using 20mm SHS stainless with a 1.6mm wall thickness, joining 2 together to form a T. and the top of the T is bending down. I'm using 56amps and a 1.6mm electrode. Been using 1.6 filler but I'll get some some .9 and try that.
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

I'm no expert by any means but I've been doing some SS railing on boats with MIG and TIG. I've found most formed SS is pretty stable as far as distortion. It's the flat stuff that has a life of it's own.

The less heat you put into it can keep the distortion down but not by much..and I'm talking about some 1/2" flat SS plate that likes to curl up :?
Charlie
OntheSide
    Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:56 pm

Distortion is a problem but, I have another question.

I have seen a lot of videos on SS repairs, and I know about backing with gas for a really clean weld.
My question is, when you repair kitchen equipment of various shapes and sizes (like I do), backing with gas is not always practical.

Does anyone know of a paste or something that can be used to reduce the "sugaring" effect on the back of a stainless steel weld?

Thanks,
Richard
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

One option is to use 308 or 309 stick rod. If You dont have the setup for that, you can stick a stick rod in the tungsten holder(a tip from this site)

If you have to use tig, maybe you could try to create a box for the gas to fill into(if this is possible) and a root opening for the gas to flow through, allowing the gas to purge both sides.

hope this helps

-Rick
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

They make various shapes and sizes of ceramic backers that you can use. I use to use them all the time when backing with gas was not practical. Check this site out.

http://www.cerbaco.com/index.html
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit