Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
highdezman
    Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am

This weld was performed before i got my welder and i saw a tig weave done on steel and it looks like the same technique was used here, but how do you go about it? One more thing is there any benifit to this type of weld?Thanks
g234me
    Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:56 am

I'm thinking (which is dangerous) that the torch is moved left to right and slightly forward adding filler when torch is to either side. Helps when you need wider bead.

Martin
highdezman

It would be nice if jody would do a vid showing how this is done or just chime in. :D
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

It looks like a spoolgun weld to me.
highdezman

Im very new to tig welding but this is my attempt to try and copy this weld :roll:
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

That it is a TIG weld after looking at it better, but you do get cleaning action like that from the spoolgun welding being welded in the DCEP and that being the side that provides the cleaning(cathodic etching).
Last edited by jpence38 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
g234me
    Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:56 am

there is no way that was done with a spool gun. you can see where the a/c arc, from the tig torch, cleaned the aluminum oxide on both sides of the bead. the reason highdezman's practice weld doesn't look more like it it cause his puddle was a little hot and it all flowed together. To be sure though I will ask jody to look at this post on monday if he comes to work. (it's Presidents Day)
Highdezman turn your argon down a little to where your just cleaning outside the bead. This will give your arc more punch and maybe quieten down a little.

Thanks, Martin
highdezman

Sounds good, Ill give it another try and post results. :D

I would say...definitely a tig weld. its prettycool looking but not necessarily bettter than a straight run. You see weave beads like this all the time on steel and stainless steel pipe.

You see it less on aluminum but it still works ok and looks cool. here is a pic of a magnesium gearbox housing with the same type weave technique used to tie in corner contour beads for building up prior to final machining...i didnt do this, by the way.

enjoy,

jody
Attachments
magnesium-welding-gearbox.JPG
magnesium-welding-gearbox.JPG (100.29 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
highdezman

Thanks alot i was hoping a straight run would suffice cause im not good at the weave thing. :D
jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

highdezman wrote:This weld was performed before i got my welder and i saw a tig weave done on steel and it looks like the same technique was used here, but how do you go about it? One more thing is there any benifit to this type of weld?Thanks
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I honestly think that weave is done by overlaying the puddles in an offset fashion.
In other words, instead of laying the puddles inline try to offset them while keeping them stacked.
Miller Aerowave
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I AM A NOOB please don't laugh. I wound up wit that pattern last night at school walking the cup on vert. I don't know how but after the pass I thought it looked like a weave not a straight flat stack of dimes. My teacher didn't have a prob so I thought it was ok.
OD1
  • OD1
    Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:20 am

using 2% Thoriated or 1.5% Lanthanated Tungsten with a point instead of a ball on the tip of the Tungsten. Have fun !!!!