Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

ljdm1956,

The first questions that would need answered is how thick of material and what type of joints as this would determine the settings. I am not a pro at DC alum but will help out if I can.

I was not originally involved in this thread but have read it and shared some of the posts with others. It amazed me how many welders out there did not believe that you could weld Alum on DC.
-Jonathan
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Most important question is - Can it be done with Argon, and not helium. Settings would depend on material thickness of course,
but in my efforts, am I wasting my time by trying it with only argon.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

ljdm1956,
On materials of a certain thickness Argon is only one factor in the equation. Say you have a Miller Trailblazer 500 and you need to weld some 1/8" Aluminum corner joints, I'm quite sure you could muster up enough amps to get it welded with Argon as your shielding gas. In the same token if you're using a 185 amp inverter welder trying to weld a fillet weld on 3/8 plate even Helium is not going to be enough to clear that hurtle. So the Devil's in the details if you know what we're saying.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
ljdm1956

I understand limitations due to machine size. I have a 200amp inverter machine, so I know the max thickness, single pass / multiple passes, etc.... again, wondering / wanting to know if Helium is absolutely necessary, or makes it easier. Example - if I wanted to do fillet welds on .125", is a 200 amp inverter machine capable with argon only. Although I still don't understand the principle of DCEN aluminum tig welding as far as is Helium a necessary component? Similar to you can Tig steel with argon, but not with C25.

In a nutshell -

If you have clean enough material, and therefore don't need the cleaning action of AC, and you have the sufficient amp capacity for the material thickness to be welded, can you weld TIG aluminum DCEN with straight argon?
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

ljdm1956 wrote:
In a nutshell -

If you have clean enough material, and therefore don't need the cleaning action of AC, and you have the sufficient amp capacity for the material thickness to be welded, can you weld TIG aluminum DCEN with straight argon?

Try it and see....

~John ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
ljdm1956

Been trying, not a whole lot of success. That's why I asked about the gas - trying to find out if my lack of success is due to my skill level, or if just won't work without straight helium, and I'm just wasting my time.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

The down and dirty answer is yes you can weld alum on dcen using argon. Now is is suggested or proper, that would depend on what it is you are welding, machine capabilities etc. You will not get the penetration using argon that you would with the helium. I am not around the computer now but there are a lot of videos out there depicting how to weld dcen on alum.

To answer your question on having clean alum and therefore not needing the cleaning action, you will still have a layer of oxides on the surface even with a wipe down and wire brush.

-Jonathan
dogfood
    Sat May 10, 2014 6:24 pm

@ljd

Read through the thread and gave it a try on EN with Argon gas with similar results, regardless of cleaning-still couldn't break through the "skin." Some beautiful side effects, though. Switched to EP and, with brushed and scotch-brited base metal and rod, got that familiar rounded tip and bead lay. I forget which direction the heat comes from with which polarity but I guess it takes a certain intensity to break the oxide layer that Argon and EN can't deliver.
It's basically AC with the dial turned all the way to one side from the sound and look of it.
Mind you I'm doing this on a big ol' 350 transformer that can do AC, so I'm curious if it'll work on a little inverter suitcase.

D
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

dogfood wrote:@ljd

Read through the thread and gave it a try on EN with Argon gas with similar results, regardless of cleaning-still couldn't break through the "skin." Some beautiful side effects, though. Switched to EP and, with brushed and scotch-brited base metal and rod, got that familiar rounded tip and bead lay. I forget which direction the heat comes from with which polarity but I guess it takes a certain intensity to break the oxide layer that Argon and EN can't deliver.
It's basically AC with the dial turned all the way to one side from the sound and look of it.
Mind you I'm doing this on a big ol' 350 transformer that can do AC, so I'm curious if it'll work on a little inverter suitcase.

D
It does work on little inverters that can tig. Only for thin aluminum though since the tungsten and torch heat up fast on DC+ :)

Side note: my Miller Maxstar 150s is stick only and won't keep an arc going on scratch start tig. But my cheap little Century does scratch tig fine - weird.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
DeweyO
    Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:01 am

I realize this thread started quite some time ago but it's very relevant to a situation I have. It's a old motorcycle case from a historic machine 1932 vintage (Douglas to be exact). It's a copper aluminum alloy, maybe some zinc too, and very brittle. It has the reputation of being unweldable and so far that has been the case. There are cracks in structural areas and all attempts to repair them by many respectable welders have just created more cracks, not just fissures next to the immediate weld. Salvaging this case is of great importance due to it's historic value. AC and Argon was used in all the attempts. I was thinking about the shape of the weld puddle as being a major contributor to the stress that creates more cracks and started thinking if DCEN was used the stress could be reduced. Then I started searching and found this thread. Any input would be appreciated.

Dewey
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

DeweyO wrote:I realize this thread started quite some time ago but it's very relevant to a situation I have. It's a old motorcycle case from a historic machine 1932 vintage (Douglas to be exact). It's a copper aluminum alloy, maybe some zinc too, and very brittle. It has the reputation of being unweldable and so far that has been the case. There are cracks in structural areas and all attempts to repair them by many respectable welders have just created more cracks, not just fissures next to the immediate weld. Salvaging this case is of great importance due to it's historic value. AC and Argon was used in all the attempts. I was thinking about the shape of the weld puddle as being a major contributor to the stress that creates more cracks and started thinking if DCEN was used the stress could be reduced. Then I started searching and found this thread. Any input would be appreciated.

Dewey

Two things to think on in my opinion.

What is the actual blend of material and what filler rod would be the most appropriate based on this information?

2nd, what preheat and postheat treatment would help this situation?

I just welded some 74 Triumph cases, covers and a head. I used 4043 filler and no preheat.
Your cases sound like they would not be weldable in the same simplistic manner.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

You might be better off using silicone bronze or aluminum bronze and tig brazing from the back side.
DeweyO

MinnestotaDave

No one seems to know the exact composition of the alloy. There's one person, possibly the most informed in both the Douglas motorcycle and what and how they were made 80 years ago, who insists they were cast from floor sweepings. Douglas also made aircraft but not the large ones we associate the name with, and as I understand it the Cu Al alloy was commonly used in that field.

I do some welding, including TIG starting back in the 70s, but not profficiently so given it's importance I decided it should be done by someone who does it for a living and has a good reputation. The first welder makes all sorts of things for the medical industry. He put in an oven prior to any welding and finally gave up due to the fissures next to the last bead. We blanketed it overnight and the next morning there was a new crack, not a fissure, in a totally new area. The second welder is a gear maker and repairer and TIGs on the side. He didn't do any preheat that I remember and gave up for the same reason as the first one. The third one welds in a machine shop in another state and it was the same story. The fourth welder is a welding instructor and adamantly insisted preheating is a bad idea with a casting like this. He too reached a point where he didn't want to go any farther. The fifth welder, who has it now and has the reputation that if it can be welded he can do it, tried some 1100 rod on a small area thinking that being softer it would give a little when it solidified, but it didn't make any difference - fissures big time.

I too have repaired Triumph & BSA cases, all with acceptable results. In fact, repairing bike cases for local dealers was the whole reason I got started in TIG.

dsmabe -

I have considered using an Al brazing rod which is Zn/Tin but am afraid to put a lot of heat to this case given its tempermental nature. I'd have to heat it up to a minimum of 730°.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

This suggestion is a bit "over the top", but...

"Floor sweepings" means 'pot metal', which can be soft-soldered, but not welded by any practical process.

Consider "leading" it, using flux and lead/tin solder to build a new surface on the inside to seal all the pores... You can make one continuous thin surface. I suggest dressing the exterior first, so the high-temp work is done and it appears as it should.

Lead/tin solder will melt well below the temperatures that affect your exterior dress...

Steve S
DeweyO

Well, I never gave that a thought but I'll certainly try it. Easy enough temperature wise.

Thanks
steeldr.
    Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am

I developed a welding procedure for welding aluminum pipe, 5 in.diameter and 1/2 in. wall. 60 degree inclusive angle , 1/16 in. landing,with an open root of 3/32 in.I used 3/32 in. thoriated tungsten ground to a point. and torch purge gas of 100% helium , and a flow of aprox. 20 cfm.,and amperage of aprox. 180.... the results of the tests were as follows; P.t.,sat. x-ray sat, bends ( root and cover) sat.
Note; you have to try different torch angles, and distance between tungsten and work (arc length) and cleaning methods, and flow of helium. .......... ron
DeweyO

Thanks ron -

You didn't say if it was DCEN, but I assume it is. I'm quite sure the pipe you were welding is a lot more forgiving than this old casting.

I've been playing around with an old dirty broken half of a transfer case using DCEN, pointed electrode, and Argon. 180+ amps and getting full penetration. The unknown electrode did ball up so it may have been straight tungsten. The weld itself was good enough for me if I can get a similar result on this engine case. Too bad it's such a valuable item to be taking chances like this.

I've been thinking of plugging all the holes on the opposite side I want to weld from, filling it with dry sand and covering it with a piece of board, metal, something flat, and flipping it over so when I do hit it with DC it won't drop out on me. That could also absorb some of the initial heat so there would be less spreading out to the rest of the casting and thereby reducing the risk of creating another crack. This is all theory tho -

Dewey
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

@ DeweyO

Any possibility of getting an analysis of the alloy composition by mass spectrometry ?
DeweyO

Not in my neck of the woods.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

From all the heating, welding etc that has been done on this case, it sure sounds like it's been ruined long ago. I think you are missing the key point. It's not a weldable alloy as you said but you still insist on welding it. You sound like Congress. If something doesn't work, keep doing the same thing over and over again till it does. Time to JB Weld it
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

DeweyO wrote:Well, I never gave that a thought but I'll certainly try it. Easy enough temperature wise.

Thanks
Another thought... Chrome shops deal in pot-metal/random alloys all the time, perfecting surfaces before the copper-plating that precedes the chrome. You might find the expertise you need there. They might even be able to do a brushed nickel plate to simulate the original finish.

Might be worth exploring...

Steve S
DeweyO

Thanks for your honesty. I'm just looking for a ray of hope that it can be salvaged, and no, JB weld isn't going to cut it.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

If someone else suggested this further back than I've read sorry - but when faced with an unweldable alloy would it not be a good candidate for one of the repair alloys such as HTS-2000 or similar ( not advertizing it or have any connection with them ) - heat the entire piece gently - make repair using whichever rod you have most faith in at low temperature ( typically just over 700 degrees nowhere near melting point ) then bury in silver sand to cool as you would cast iron - only downside is color match won't be perfect usually - but it usually holds well - I've done it occasionally on bike casings though not that make - just a thought.
DeweyO

nobodybrian -

I have some of that exact same rod and have been contemplating trying it for some time now, although many poo-poo the idea. The cracks are all internal so color matching is not an issue. I'm just nervous about heating so much of the casting as new cracks appear in entirely different areas when fully cooled. The cooling was slowly done after the first welding attempt by wrapping it in a fiberglass blanket (wall insulation). I used some of that rod to repair a Mercedes oil pan in-place and it was a total success, until he T- boned another driver. The car was totaled but the repair held.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well it's your call - the way I look at it you tried a regular weld without success but there will always be localized stress setup by doing this & the temperature difference around the weld despite slow cooling - it should be possible to slowly and uniformly heat the casing to virtually the temperature needed for the rod to take - so the difference where the repair is made will be very slight - the HTS - 2000 is way more forgiving than a normal fusion weld so if the part is cooled slowly enough it should work - maybe try when the wife is out heating it in the oven as hot as it will go then allowing it cool in the oven - if no new cracks appear you stand a very good chance of succeeding - if more cracks appear then it is likely a lost cause & the only solution is find a replacement unless it's super super rare - if so then the only answer maybe to coat it layer after layer of primer filler until you can sand it smooth & oversize enough to use as a pattern & try to sand cast a new one using melted down alloy of known material such as wheel rims or other newer motorcycle parts found in scrap yards - whatever you decide I wish you luck.