Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

whats the correct wire for 409 stainless on exhaust tubing?
nova_70_383

anyone?
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/co ... alloy.aspx

Check into it here... Looks like a 409 is available from lincoln in a metal cored wire. Otherwise I would email lincolns consumables department to see what they recommend in a tig cut length. Best of luck bro.
Be the monkey....
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

409 filler for a 409 base metal.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Agreed jim. Just didnt see it available on lincolns website. Prolly doesnt mean its not available though. Unless it is speced different you about always use same filler as base.
Be the monkey....
    Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:31 am

Hello nova¬_70_383

I am new to this forum and eager to contribute something back. Mr. Colliers videos and advice have been very helpful in helping me work more efficiently with members of my team. I have also started TIG welding in my spare time to better understand the conditions surrounding TIG welding applications. I have found the opportunity to contribute something back to the collective here with your query on 409 filler material. I must add that English is my second language so I ask now to please excuse any grammatical errors. I will be citing material designations numbers that are used in my country along with the corresponding AWS which you should be familiar with. I will also provide some characteristics about the material. I personally find it helpful to know a little about the material and it special properties. It makes working with it that much more interesting.

Material
The Steel grade to be welded is AISI 409 (DIN X6CrTi12) Material Nr. 1.4512. 409 is a Ferro-chromium stainless steel that is especially resistant to a specific type of corrosion called tension crack corrosion. This type of corrosion is minimized in 409 because of the addition of titanium. The titanium also allows the 409 material to be polished to a very high luster. It is also magnetic.

Precautions
Care must be taken to avoid excess heat when welding. It is important to minimize the area of the heat affected zone when welding. This means to avoid, whenever possible, dwelling and preheating. The energy for welding should be kept below 1KJ/mm to minimize the risk of cracking. Be sure the material is very clean and free from all forms of oil, fats, and other hydrocarbons. Shield gasses that contain nitrogen or hydrogen must be avoided due to 409’s titanium content.

Filler Material
Recommended filler materials are:
Material Nr. 1.4316 ( DIN X1CrNi19-9); AWS Grade ER308L, AWS Grade ER308LSi.
Material Nr. 1.4502 (DIN SG X8CrTi 18); AWS Grade ER430 .

I hope this helps.
Cheers

Ref. Deutsche Edelstahlwerke: [ 1.4512_de.pdf ]. Rev-Nr. 4512-1 pg. 2 “Schweissen”
Ref. ESAB: [ 41-H.pdf ] pg. 20 “Drahtelektrode”
Ref. Bekaert: [Bekinox stainless steel wire pdf.] pg. 4 “Stainless Steel Wire Guide”
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

Thats a great breakdown of some very useful information. And may I just say, the english seemed perfect to me.

Mick.
nova_70_383

thank you for that information! now i know the correct answer. no problems with your english. you doing better then many of us that use it as our first language!